IB security token

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by HOBO, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jpatet

jpatet

Thank you rayl and JackR.

#11     Jun 25, 2007
  2. JackR

JackR

Pure guess - It has two large watch type batteries. You turn it on and enter your PIN. It processes your PIN. You enter the Challenge. It processes the Challenge and produces a Reply.

It automatically turns off after 15 seconds if you do not enter a PIN.

It automatically turns off after 60 seconds after it has produced a Reply.

You can turn it off manually.

The display is not back-lit.

My guess three to five years - sort of like a digital watch.

Jack

#12     Jun 25, 2007
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

Jack, do the batteries look to be user replaceable? If so, I would hope any onboard memory would be retained long enough for a battery swap.

Catoosa

#13     Jun 25, 2007
  4. gumtrader

gumtrader

rayl,

You say the third is for the API. Are you just guessing or do you know that?

#14     Jun 25, 2007
  5. rayl

rayl

I recall that there is a method available to API users and IB did not plan on publicly disclosing it, but selectively to such users. Of course, whether that is "the third method" or yet a fourth method, I cannot be sure.

#15     Jun 25, 2007
  6. JackR

JackR

There are two screws on the back that I do not want to remove. Then what appears to a little knurled slide that may or may no slide.

I have a number of these things and each has a serial number. My guess is that when they are made there is a small bit of non-volatile memory used to install a unique key that is tied to the serial number and to hold the PIN. I doubt that changing the batteries would require a reset. However, the manufacturer could have deliberately not done so, so as to force a refresh of their product.

Jack

#16     Jun 25, 2007
  7. me1969

me1969

IB told me the battery life is about 10 years.

#17     Jun 25, 2007
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

I just now tried to apply for the IB security token and found the "Golden Token" as the only option. Last night I had the option of the Golden or Platinum Token. I hope IB will again offer the platinum token which is larger and has the logical telephone dial pad layout. For now I will wait.

#18     Jun 25, 2007
  9. Thanks for battery feedback. I opened it up with the idea of getting some backup batteries but it looks like it is designed not to be easily changeable. Anyway, 10 year battery life is plenty.

#19     Jun 25, 2007
  10. Catoosa

Catoosa

Following up on my previous post: The Platinum version of the security token was unavailable for only one day. I ordered one and received it the next day. It is a bit slow but I am sure it will perform the intended function. Now I wish all of my brokers would offer this device.

Catoosa

#20     Jun 29, 2007