IB security token Batteries

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dont, Aug 24, 2007.

1. dont

dont

Great its reliable and when the battery goes dead?

#11     Aug 25, 2007
  2. teun

teun

Then you need $150 to buy another...

#12     Aug 25, 2007
  3. Really? You dont think IB would replace it?

Why not ask

#13     Aug 25, 2007
  4. These batteries are designed to last 10 years or more.

It's more likely that the card is lost, damaged with coffee or other liquid or fails mechanically before the battery dies.

Having said that I wonder why they didn't put a photovoltic strip on it.

John

#14     Aug 25, 2007
  5. teun

teun

Indeed. It's not likely that the device stops within a few years. These devices are typically registered (with the 'security supplier' like AES) for few years, after that time you'll probably receive a new one automatically.

But when you close your account you have to send it back. That's a drawback in my opinion (I'm not living in US).

IB is not crystal crear about these devices, for instance it is not known which device will be sent to which account holder (there seem to be no clear rules, only internal probably), and when. Also, there is little info about the passcode card.

But, it's a good development. It was 1 of my few complaints (to IB) previously that the account was only protected bij a password of max. 8 characters.

#15     Aug 25, 2007
  6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I hate the stupid thing, but then again I'm a total tech idiot who can barely figure out how to turn on the computer. That said the people at the STP hotline by now probably hate me as much as I hate their stupid device since I call them all the time lost in the woods.

#16     Aug 25, 2007
  7. The one I got a few years ago is too small to use comfortably.

Those with big , klutsy fingers, must really love them

#17     Aug 25, 2007
  8. JackR

JackR

I haven't seen the passcard but by combining some posts from elsewhere here on ET it would seem that the passcard is about the size of a credit card. It has a list of numbers from 1 to 224 on each side. Each of those 448 numbers has an alpha-numeric code assigned to it.

IB sends two 3-digit numbers, each between 1 and 224 (or possibly between 1 and 448) as a challenge, and you enter the assigned codes as the response.

So basically the card method allows IB to send you 50,176 different challenges. Your card has a unique set of responses on it. If the number series on the reverse side of the card were numbered 225 - 448 then the number of unique challenges could go to 100,352. Each card is unique and is tied to a specific account. Thus, a challenge to you of 111 111 could produce a response of F39 H22. The response from another card might be 9A3 2CF.

The electronic token can handle 100 million different challenges ( IB sends an eight digit challenge). The token is much more secure.

Jack

#18     Aug 26, 2007
  9. Catoosa

Catoosa

Thanks for a good piece of work Jack.

#19     Aug 26, 2007
  10. I can't read it in the dark.

#20     Aug 26, 2007