IB Security Device

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tyrant, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Bob111

Bob111

wow! that's sounds complicated and time consuming. i have same thing like tyrant got. simple and easy to use. take like couple more seconds to login.

#11     Oct 1, 2007
  2. Bob111

Bob111

yes, very similar to this one

#12     Oct 1, 2007
  3. Xenia

Xenia

#13     Oct 1, 2007
  4. tyrant

tyrant

Yep, that's what I got.

Can someone explain how it works? How does IB know that the number generated is the correct number required? Does that mean the code generated is preinstalled/fixed previously for each account? I have no idea how these things work.

#14     Oct 1, 2007
  5. I have both types of tokens for a couple my accounts, i much prefer the time synced one. Its three or four times faster to authenticate than the challenge/response token.

#15     Oct 1, 2007
  6. ** Your post is misinformed and misleading **.

The Opt-Out Form basically signs ALL your rights away.

No lawyer would ever let you sign the IB Opt-Out form...
    It looks like something done on the back of a napkin...
    In fact... the form is so discriminatory that it's very likely illegal.

#16     Oct 1, 2007
  7. The opt out agreement form says.

"IB will NOT Compensate you and will NOT credit your account in the event that your account is compromised by hackers or identity theives".

Sounds fair enough to me.

Even if you opt out, the Security Device is still used to authenticate fund withdrawals so you still should be covered for any unauthorized withdrawals, its only the illegal trading by hackers that you have to worry about.

#17     Oct 1, 2007
  8. Bob111

Bob111

hey QuantPlus..can you please point which part of my answer is misinformed and misleading?

we are not talking about rights here. the question is very simple-can i opt out? and my respond is -yes, you can. that it, plain and simple.

#18     Oct 1, 2007
  9. This is how I have heard they work:

1. The device is "seeded" with a unique number based on your account.

2. It calculates new codes every 30 seconds. A computer at the login site is also calculating new codes.

3. I don't have one of these, but I would suspect that a "range" of codes would work. You might try this once - add or subtract 1 to the code and see if it still unlocks. Even atomic clocks drift a bit and are synched to a master clock. And super-accurate GPS sat clocks must account for relativistic effects.

I think that the login algorithm must compensate for typical device "drift". How else can two different, unconnected, clocks stay synched? You can get those devices for $5, so they sure aren't expensive systems.

Pretty tricky technology, but then I'm easily amused... :D

#19     Oct 1, 2007
  10. Tums

Tums

the method and algorithm is a lot more sophisticate than your thoughts.

#20     Oct 1, 2007