IB Security Alert EMail

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by HoundDogOne, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Good post. I agree completely.

OldTrader

#21     Nov 22, 2006
  2. Thank you everyone for your amateur hysterics.

Just doing the standard CEO process...
    Of learning everything I can about the Cyberspace Security quagmire...
    Regardless of whose delicate little toes I may step on...
    Before I get professional advice from my Law Firm and/or Auditor...
    And then take the ** optimal course of action ** to keep my Firm secure and profitable.

Happy Thanksgiving to the pro traders out there.

#22     Nov 23, 2006
  3. HD1 ... the amateur out there is clearly you. What a load of pretentious bullshit. Enjoy Etrade, they're well suited to you.

Happy thanksgiving to all the real traders out there and those who aspire to be so. :)

#23     Nov 23, 2006
  4. Toonces

Toonces

I don't think I'm so worried abuot someone withdrawing my money. But what abuot using your unsername and password to trade your account? Is this a legitimate threat? Is there anything to do to protect yourself?

#24     Nov 23, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg

the hysterics came from people with your slant on this issue. it started with the originator of this thread. it didn't take long for others to join the party.

I am reasonably sure that IB will not abandoned its gameplan to become like
    everyone else. they didn't become immensely successful that way.

I am sure e-trade and ameritrade will vie for your business

#25     Nov 23, 2006
  6. IB encrypt the logon sequence so the highest risk is probably on your local PC. With all passwords its wise to change them from time to time and to ensure that they are not easily read over ones shoulder (use some odd characters in it).

#26     Nov 23, 2006
  7. zdreg

zdreg

don't trade from a public computer.

#27     Nov 23, 2006
  8. gbos

gbos

Not an expert but ….

There isn’t such think as absolute security. The closer you can get is a token key generator creating a passkey for the login process. Even then if a bad guy with enough knowledge decides to target a specific pc then there is not much you can do to ensure 100% safety.

Imagine the following extreme scenario of a bad guy successfully installing a rootkit into your pc and you having deliberate ‘internet connection’ problems after entering the generated passkey from the token into the internet explorer form. Until you figure out it isn’t some hardware failure of your modem or a problem with your isp, the bad guy can logon now into your account and do whatever he wants.

#28     Nov 23, 2006
  9. gbos is right but the risk is very small for any one individual customer.

Use a firewall (zonealarm say), run a virus checker (antivir say), and every couple of days run spyware software (Xoftspy, Spybot search and destroy).

The risk of someone trying to trade your account is much much much lower than the same person trying to get into your bank account.

#29     Nov 23, 2006
  10. Also use a PC for trading that isn't used for Email since that's a main source of malicious code.

#30     Nov 23, 2006