IB saving settings

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by z32000, Aug 7, 2007.

1. petteri

petteri

This worked for me.

1) Upgrade all of the clients to the most recent version.

2) Check "Store settings on server" option on Login screen in every computer you use.

This way you have same settings in every computer you use.

If some window is out of current screen, when you use multi-screen setup on one computer and single screen setup on another.

1) Activate the window on start bar.

2) Right-click window icon on start bar and select move.

3) Use arrow keys to move the window.

#11     Aug 9, 2007
  2. rayl

rayl

From the posts it seems like the way to make store settings on server work is to start from a clean config.

Seems like those of us who have troubles are bec we started from an existing config.

Unfortunately, that's a bit big of an investment which I will postpone for a later date.

#12     Aug 9, 2007
  3. petteri

petteri

Addition:

I also had to make new config in order to get it working.

#13     Aug 9, 2007
  4. z32000

z32000

so since I have three computers... you're all suggesting that I save one of the tws.xml files and then completely remove the program from each computer and then reinstall?

Should I copy that tws.xml on all computers after that?

And then everything will be straight? If I make one change to a computer, it should make the same changes to the other computer?

#14     Aug 12, 2007
  5. petteri

petteri

It works that way for me now, but I lost my entire config before I got it working.

I did not reinstall but upgraded the clients.

#15     Aug 12, 2007
  6. JackR

JackR

From the TWS Help:

Using IB Server Global Settings

You can elect to use either locally saved settings or "global" settings, which are settings you save to the IB server to ensure all of the modifications you make to your TWS environment, such as adding pages and contracts, changing the layout and creating workspaces, are available to your regardless of where you log in.

The setting Store settings on server appears on both the login box and in the TWS File menu, and it serves two purposes: it USES the global TWS settings that you elected to save to the IB server; it SAVES your current sessions changes to the IB server so that these settings will be available to you globally from any PC.

If you log into or out of TWS without having checked this feature, any changes to your trading environment are saved locally, and can then only be accessed when you log into this same machine.

To save your settings on the IB server -
    After you're logged in, go to the File menu and check Store settings on server. Please note that this feature must be activated manually, it is not checked by default.

To use global settings that have been saved on the IB server -
    On the TWS Login box, check the Store settings on server box. This instructs TWS to go to the global server and use any settings you saved previously.
    Note that if you elect to leave this box unchecked, TWS will use the last settings saved to this specific PC.

----------------------------------------------
    Ensure all versions of the TWS are 874 or newer.

Jack

#16     Aug 12, 2007
  7. z32000

z32000

i'll give that a try, but i think that's really stupid.

So i before I close all my computers, i have to remember to check that setting and then when i log in, I have to check it again just to be on the safe side.

It's ridiculous that you have to remember to do that everytime.

#17     Aug 12, 2007
  8. Bob111

Bob111

he whole idea of storing your settings on server is worthless from beginning imo. maybe good for some old fart with few trades per month on same ETF or something, but not for active trader with multiple systems and multiple markets.
    Probably (did not checked yet) lame way to get rid of unsolved issues with disappearing tickers, that we having with TWS for at least 5 years.
    the only way to have your settings stored (but not guaranteed in any way, cause i lost TWS settings with 500+ corp. bonds in TWS few times already(why i have that much is another story, there is another bug, that not been fixed by IB since 2005)) and restore function is useless too in that case..
    Anyway-imo-only way to have your settings stored is to have backup at all time all your setting in different folder, every day, preferably on separate HD.
    What if i have 5 computers, with different settings for same accounts on each of them? How this feature can help me in this case?
    and i actually do have such thing. One computer trade stocks, another computer can and trade something else on same account.
    IB-fix the old issues, before create new ones.

#18     Aug 12, 2007
  9. I have the same problem.
    Sometimes IB gets disconnected due to its daily maintenence and when it reconnects, every ticker is gone out of a sudden. It is so frustrating. Trying to restore by previous xml settings file without any success.

It would be great if there is a feature which can backup tickers only.

#19     Aug 13, 2007
  10. rayl

rayl

I haven't seen this problem though I've occassionally had mishaps (not due to my doing anything). Restoring settings from tws.xml is what I usually do. That seems to get auto-saved at least once per session so you never end up too far behind.

#20     Aug 13, 2007