IB retail pit access or not ???

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by local_crusher, Dec 22, 2005.

1. is this some sort of electronic order that gets written up on the floor and then taken to a pit
    broker while the IB customer waits for news of execution etc ?

I assume the pit brokers "give-up" IB
    as clearing firm for these customer orders

if the data feed is realtime maybe it will add
    an edge or reduce paying extra fees elsewhere
    for these quotes even if oen does not wish to
    experiment with "open-outcry" trading
    on the floor ...

:)

#51     Feb 23, 2006
  2. def

def Sponsor

depends on the venue but mostly yes. on the overnight SPX on globex, yes again, it should be available. you'll need to sign up for it via the acct mgt site.

#52     Feb 23, 2006
  3. Def,
    I am mainly interested in trading spreads this way. Can you tell me how TWS or this new scheme will accommodate spread orders and further out months? As far as I remember TWS can handle spreads but in a limited fashion....

#53     Feb 23, 2006
  4. JayS

JayS

Everything looks good except floor based CME Ags at $12 rt. Kinda high, already getting $10 rt all in now and have personel phone support within 2-3 rings if needed. Also kinda hesitant to try IB for pit with some of def's comments.

#54     Feb 23, 2006
  5. def

def Sponsor

Jay, my comments are about pits in general.

#55     Feb 23, 2006
  6. Everything looks good so far, two issues regarding commissions come up:

1. The AG's comm is relatively high ($6 per side), indeed.
    These are small contracts and $6 would quickly eat up one's PnL.
    Maybe IB can re-think this, for me, say $4 - $4.50 would be fine.
    However, it probably depends on IB's middlemen.

2. Eurodollars Options. IB will add these in the near term,
    PLEASE give an useable commission for these.
    The (btw huge) volume in ED options is still 95% floor and it does not at all look as if it wants to move to globex.
    Please keep in mind that the premium of these contracts is often only a few $

#56     Feb 24, 2006
  7. Check out "Pit Bull" by Marty Schwartz if you want some more stories about pit trading. The idea behind "dual-agent" brokers is that they can trade for you and for themselves at the same time without giving any bias to the order they use in placing orders. The reality is they will screw you six ways from Sunday if you're lucky.....don't ask what they'll do if you're not. I think it's fine if you're playing for a multi-week swing trade, but if you're trying to scalp a tick or two in the pits forget it....

SSB

#57     Feb 24, 2006

8. I dont see anything regarding equity index futures so I assume the commissions are the same as minis on the unbundled structure and 2.40 a side via bundled.

#58     Feb 24, 2006
  9. JayS

JayS

I previously worked for a clearing firm for the CME & CBOT. If you know who to deal with the pits are not near as bad as your general comments.

#59     Feb 24, 2006
  10. Agree with you. Those here who are only used to Electronic markets will find out what the old-timers meant when they said, "It takes three days to recover from a fill in the beans pit".:D

#60     Feb 24, 2006