IB removed SPX, etc from theier basic data subscription

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by hippie, Feb 1, 2010.

1. IB is just passing along data fees that exchanges have started charging. Yes, it is annoying, but the monthly fee is minimal if you want the data.

IB still offers a good data feed for free. Go look at what TradeStation charges for the same data http://www.tradestation.com/brokerage/market_data.shtm

How well TWS runs/works depends on your computer setup and ISP.

TWS datafeed breaking up is usually an ISP problem. I have Verizon DSL and have a solid TWS data feed all day every day. If not an ISP problem it could be a bad internet modem or router.

If TWS freezes your system you need to know exactly what your computer is doing when the freeze occurs. One possiblity is not enough RAM in your computer. Another is other processes taking resources from TWS.

I can run TWS without problems on 3 older computers with Windows XP SP2 or SP3 and 1.5 GB RAM. I can also run TWS on Ubuntu 9.10 without problems.

The main problem that I have with IB is that their futures commissions are too high.

#11     Feb 2, 2010
  2. Which data do I have to subscibe to at IB in order to receive quotes for SPX index options?

#12     Feb 13, 2010
  3. gkishot

gkishot

SPX index options are available at IB for free.

#13     Feb 13, 2010
  4. Thanks for your fast reply! Is it usual to see only "last" quotes and no bid/ask?

#14     Feb 13, 2010
  5. gkishot

gkishot

I was always able to see bid/ask quotes. I don't trade with the "last" quotes, they are for information only.

#15     Feb 13, 2010
  6. You should change brokers and go with scottrade, td ameritrade, etrade, or schwab.

What, they don't offer what you need?

Damn!

#16     Feb 13, 2010
  7. akivak

akivak

Compare commissions at IB with scottrade, td ameritrade, etrade, or schwab. Compared to what you gain from low commissions, those fees are peanuts.

#17     Feb 14, 2010