IB Release Notes......Build 815

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by BSAM, Jan 14, 2004.

1. I dont think you are pointed to the latest JRE on your TWS.

To easily test what version of the JRE you have installed, go to the Java test page:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

This is a help page on the Sun Java site which answers many questions about installing, upgrading Java.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/index.jsp

I'm guessing you installed the JRE using the automatic installation. You need to point the part of the TWS startup string that mentions 'javaw.exe' to the location of the newest JRE installed. This is what my startup string JRE location is using the auto install option. (Note, I don't have the latest JRE, so yours' will have a different name for the directory which holds javaw.exe)

"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_03\bin\javaw.exe" -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar C:\Jts\jts.jar C:\Jts

#31     Jan 16, 2004
  2. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

I do not know. Where did you install the upgrade - in the system directory \WINNT\system32 ? If so, your string is correct.

I used this procedure:

Click the "Start"-button in the Task-Bar and select "Control Panel", there will be an icon "Java Plug-in". Double-click this icon, a dialogue with a lot of tabs will launch, select the tab "Upgrade" (or something called like this, I do not have an english version). Here you may configure Java to look for updates automatically or launch the update process immediately. Do so and follow the instructions.

If you launch TWS via the icon on your desktop, you have to do one more thing: tell TWS there is a new version of Java. Right-click the TWS icon and select "Properties" from the menu. There is a field called "target" containing a string like this one: "...Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\javaw.exe...". Edit this string to point to "...Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\javaw.exe.." and click "OK".

Hope this helps

Bernd Kuerbs

#32     Jan 16, 2004
  3. BVM88

BVM88

Up until a few days ago I was having some troubling connection problems with TWS and sought help on another thread. I followed the suggestions that were kindly given, one of them being to change the target as per Def above, but was still experiencing problems.
    After uninstalling & reinstalling both TWS and Java (including deleting the associated directories which I had not done previously) the problems disappeared and TWS is now working beautifully.
    My target is also C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -jar C:\Jts\jts.jar C:\Jts, but would not consider changing it considering how well TWS is now working.

#33     Jan 16, 2004
  4. I'll try these suggestions over the weekend.

Good trading!

#34     Jan 16, 2004
  5. BSAM

BSAM

nononsense.....

Did this help you? I think this should have resolved your problem.

#35     Jan 16, 2004
  6. I get the following : "Warning: your order will not be placed at the exchange until 2004-01-18 19:15:00 US/Central"

When I tried to place entry/exit orders for YM March'04 orders.

Why is that? Are you guys getting that?

#36     Jan 16, 2004
  7. chisel

chisel

YMH04 works fine for me when I place an order.

#37     Jan 16, 2004
  8. The system32 directory is where the default java virtual machine for the IE browser is installed if you use the auto install for the JRE and indicate that you want a plug-in for IE.

The default JVM version will be the version of the last JRE to install. Usually this should be the newest version, but it doesn't have to be if the last install was of an older version.

For windows users with admin rights, the default JVM can be changed through Control Panel>Add or Remove Software or through Control Panel>Java Plug-in.

One gotcha, if you install the JRE from a windows user without admin rights, I don't think the default JVM for the IE browser gets changed to the new version.... from what I can remember.

#38     Jan 16, 2004
  9. So....I went to "Add/Remove Software" and I see two versions of Java there. I also found 2 versions in Windows Explorer. I checked Control Panel>Java Plug in>About>and all the defaults (JRE,DVM,Plug-In) are all the most recent version.

Can I just uninstall the previous Java version this weekend and not cause a catastrophic event?:eek:

Thanks for your patience and help

#39     Jan 16, 2004
  10. BSAM,

Thank you for asking. I just realized that I was indeed pointing to the old Java sitting in my windows/system32 directory. I had upgraded a long time ago with the java now sitting in a Program Files directory. However repointing to the correct directory didn't solve my problem. I was just getting ready to opdate to the _03 version now. I'll post about the result. Funny that everything worked like that wit ssl OK till up to about one week ago.

nononsense

#40     Jan 16, 2004