IB & proxy/firewall's

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by TraderD, Dec 23, 2002.

1. TraderD

TraderD

####################################
    Quote from Babak :

To connect the Trader Workstation through a proxy server, you should ensure that your proxy server can be configured to assign the following TCP/UDP ports and IP source and destination addresses:

TCP & UDP Source Port: 1024 or higher (if your system requires a Source port)
    TCP & UDP Destination Port: 4000
    Destination IP address: 208.245.107.3

It is the customer's responsibility to set up the necessary translation services (proxies) on their firewall as described here. Interactive Brokers recommends that you contact your Network support staff for assistance in configuring your TCP/UDP ports."

Conclusion - access to your IB account for trading purposes is simply not possible from "any" PC connected to the net.

#############################

Has anything changed? May be there is some workaround???

I was planning to use IB partially from work, but I can't - I work for a large software company with very strict security procedures, they WILL NOT open up the ports needed for IB.

2. There are a few solutions that I'm aware of:

1) Get a modem and ISP from your work machine. You can also use your cellphone as a modem for this.

2) Use an HTTP-tunnel/Socks-cap type thing, as in this thread
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11122 and the threads it refers to.

3) Use a solution like: http://www.loopholesoftware.com (I have not used it, but it seems intriguing)

4) Use GotoMyPC.com and access your home PC to trade

5) Use the wireless WAP connection gateway as described on the IB site using a WAP browser like Klondike from your Pocket PC or laptop. Or use your WTLS compatible cellphone with the IB mobile setup.

Hope this helps,

Rich

3. TraderD

TraderD

Thanks, richtrader! That was very informative post.

4. I have personally used loophole software's solution on a very strict firewall. I'd just like to add that it works like a champ. Don't forget to run TWS through Sockscap.