IB prehour trading hour

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Spark, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Spark

Spark

New to IB and tried to trade (just to test the system if it works) as early as 3am in the morning. But the order did not go through both at the bid or offer price. What is the earliest actual trading hour at IB? Their web page mentions exchange hour for instinet is 3am to 6:30pm....

2. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Why don't you call IB Customer Support?
    1 (877) 442-2757

Elite Trader != IB Customer Support

3. I believe you can only trade after 8am EST.

I could be wrong, but that was my experience.
    Best to call them to confirm.

Mark:cool:

4. this is my understanding as far as stocks go

retail customers can place orders on the IB platform
    after instinet is up and running on it
    usually that is between 3:15 - 3:30 am
    somtimes it is even closer to 3 am

usually it is not worth trading anything
    as the spreads are wide
    sometimes one can catch something when the various european
    exchanges open and the futures have a big move

there is more pre market action and liquidity after 7:00 - 7:15 am
    when the Island ECN orders start adding more liquidity

there is even more of the above after 7:30 am when Redibook
    ECN orders come into play

and 8 am when the other ECN's enter the picture

After Hours ...
    Instinet closes down each day at 6:30 pm
    (on IB they seem to stop at about 6:26 pm)

Island , Redibook , Archipelago keep going till 8 pm

hope this helps ... but if you really want to be sure
    contact IB directly

5. alanm

alanm

Just a clarification:

Instinet via IB closes at 18:25, and you need to cancel your orders before then or you won't be able to (it'll just go magenta). I have a feeling that if you leave the order live at 18:25, it is still subject to getting filled on Instinet until 18:30 - I think this happened to me once.

Actually, you've provided better information than they would, or care to. They've historically answered this question incorrectly when asked, and now officially disclaim any responsibility for keeping up to date on this issue. I only found out by looking at the individual ECNs' web pages and trial and error.

6. def

def Sponsor

at 3 AM do not use the toll free number. Call HK or just use the chat. In any event, instinet starts as setharb says. You'll have to route specifically to instinet.

as Europe opens at that time you may want to consider trading the big caps in Europe at that hour since spreads are better.

7. What's this nonsense with INET closing early? I had a problem with this a while ago, and got a typical BS response ("we don't know anything about it") from the trading desk.

No excuse for closing an exchange early, especially without informing the clientele. def, you have any info on this matter?

8. alanm

alanm

When did they close early?

9. Spark

Spark

I watched prehour activities all morning from 3 am to 9am ET. Execution went through as early as 3:15 am. But the spread is quite high in the istinet. It is more liquid after 7am. Thanks all for your responses.