IB - PLEASE stop those new "features"

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by local_crusher, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Please do not flame/troll here, a serious discussion is going on.

First, I described specific issues,

Second, if you had an idea about historical and modern computers, you would know, that despite the 80386 introduced the 4 GB address space, the systems had usually memory configurations between 1MB and 8MB(this was actually "high end") then. Most came with 2MB, like mine.

#31     Apr 15, 2006
  2. local_crusher,

I agree with you very strongly. I, too, wish to see a serious discussion. I don't want to see baseless insults substituting for sincere questions and for rational debate supported by evidence. I have seen a pattern of this type of behaviour by stock777, interfering with other serious discussions in other threads, and I hope that the day will soon come when EliteTrader no longer tolerates it. EliteTrader pays careful attention to complaints about this sort of thing, when those complaints come from the person who started the thread in which the offending behaviour occured, so I would suggest you complain to the moderator. Complaints from others than the thread starter carry less weight, but are still also worth making and still have a constructive impact.

#32     Apr 15, 2006

3. While not disagreeing that a fast non-java implementation of the base TWS functions that didnt expand to use any memory available would be a godsend - why did you upgrade?

I am still on 854. You could be on 854 or 856. Why, if you don't want all those extra bells and whistles not stay with an older version?

PS. I did upgrade to 857 for a few hours (with no problems) but then went back to 854 for the simple reason that I prefer not to change a good thing.

#33     Apr 15, 2006
  4. I upgraded more or less just out of curiousity.
    I need none of the new features (except the spread trader in 858, let's see).

Now I got 857 running, will stick to it for now.

#34     Apr 15, 2006
  5. Beebers

Beebers

Well, I upgraded and then downgraded again because some of my booktrader functions didn't work right anymore. But tech support was real good helping me to find the file restore file.

#35     Apr 17, 2006
  6. The question is: how much longer will IB allow us to continue running build 854? Does IB publish an expiration schedule for previous builds?

#36     Apr 21, 2006
  7. Htrader

Htrader Guest

It has been my experience that IB never allows a build to be used for longer than 12 months. Expect another mandatory upgrade later this year.

#37     Apr 21, 2006
  8. vvisavis

vvisavis

i wish they come out with 2 version: simple and expanded

does anyone knows or who can point me to download version b854? they dont have this build anymore at their site.

or would anyone who could upload for me at rapidshare or sendile for me to download?

thanks in advance.

#38     Apr 30, 2006
  9. This is an echo of a thread engaged in via the Yahoo news groups, and it seems there will not be resolution.

For those who trade simply and/or programmatically it would be wonderful if IB would supply a stripped version of TWS that does not rely on the latest Java et al.

My impression is they could hire a college student to provide a non-Java version which still supported the API and basic functionality. This might take a month or so to create using MS-Windows native application.

This will not happen, so everyone is going to continue to remain a betasite customer for whatever comes out from IB and Sun rather than focusing on trading.

Personally my interaction is 100% programmatic using the API and TWSStart paramedic mode to keep the patient alive.. :)

-Jim

#39     Jul 3, 2006
  10. ids

ids

Did you try our Web Trader? It is striped down TWS in a way. We have tons of requests to add new features in it. Everybody need something different.

#40     Jul 3, 2006