IB - PLEASE stop those new "features"

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by local_crusher, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Without getting into the argument, I'd also like to go back to the previous version. Can anyone explain how I go about doing that? As far as I can tell, the file was overwritten.

#21     Apr 15, 2006
  2. Whenever I download TWS software (or sierrachart or anything else) I keep the old versions (and number them so I can tell them apart). Then to revert I just do a straight install over the newer version. In rare cases its necessary to uninstall things first but I've yet to do so with TWS.

I have an 854 (2nd release) or an 857 available currently if they would help :)

#22     Apr 15, 2006
  3. JackR

JackR

Shadow:

Go here -

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/jtwsControl.pl?ib_entity=llc

Scroll to bottom of "Standalone" section.

There is a selection for getting the previous Windows version at the end of that section. As I write it is 856.

Jack

#23     Apr 15, 2006
  4. fhl

fhl

Jayford has no problems with booktrader from the new build. Mine still has the jumbled numbers on bid ask size that won't delete. Guess I'll check into the post on how you go back to the prev build, but I sure am curious why some have screwed up booktraders and some don't.

#24     Apr 15, 2006
  5. Thanks to both of you. Perhaps 856 will be enough.

As for IB, rather than spend so much time arguing about this, I see no reason why they can't provide a "basic" version for those who couldn't care less about all the add-ons and a "loaded" version for those who want every bell and every whistle.

#25     Apr 15, 2006
  6. I'm not exactly sure what your problem with booktrader is, but it sounds like it may be a graphics rendering issue that can be be due to some sort of interaction between java/swing and the video driver.

Sun has some command line options for java that might help. You can read about them here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/flags.html

The noddraw option is the one most likely to be of some use.

Just adding this to the TWS startup line would be simple and easily reversed if it does no good.

In any case it may be advisable to check that up to date video drivers are installed.

#26     Apr 15, 2006
  7. It probably has something to do with the fact that it costs serious time and money to support more than 1 version. I would hate it if IB decided to increase my commissions to hire more techs to support multiple versions of TWS.

#27     Apr 15, 2006
  8. I have the new build, no problems at all with Booktrader. I used it a number of times on Friday alone. You may be having some other type of problem.

OldTrader

#28     Apr 15, 2006
  9. fhl

fhl

Thanks to oldtrader and dcraig for suggestions. Not being a "techie", difficult for me to implement some of them. When I began having the problem, right after the download of new build, I spoke with tech support at IB and they told me others were having the same problem and they were working on it. I also saw on some thread on ET that others were having same problem. Would suggest to me that it may be IB and not my computer, unless we all have same computer problems. I'll contact IB, and try to get resolution, which may be simply to use old build. Thanks again.

#29     Apr 15, 2006
  10. Not suggesting multiple versions, just two. Then those who don't mind updating drivers and getting more memory and reconfiguring whatever can experience all the joys they feel in doing so.

#30     Apr 15, 2006