IB - PLEASE stop those new "features"

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by local_crusher, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Choad

Choad

#11     Apr 14, 2006
  2. "A while ago we have implemented the feature selector. It allows you to chose and activate the features YOU use."

by de-selecting features does this reduce the workload on the computer? or is this just a cosmetic thing?

is 15 secs to bring up a chart normal, and 30 secs to login normal btw?

thanks

p.s. on 1.7ghz, 512mb ram machine

#12     Apr 14, 2006
  3. Adding to my initial post,

I used the feature selector already to disable the RSS feed, Book Trader (don't need - use API), Alarms and many other items.

Despite, I got the task manager screenshot I embedded into my post.

What I think is problematic, is that this new build gets so really slow after opening / closing / re-opening some of the modules (e.g. Option Trader). It is mainly due to Java overhead and (badly working) garbage collecting process, but more features will cause more problems, I'm sure.

After all, the last thing I wanted to achieve, is people at IB (and others) getting bothered because of these issues on Good Friday, so let me apologize for the obviously bad time.

#13     Apr 14, 2006

4. This is by design. Java is designed to defer garbage collection as long as possible. If there is lots of free RAM and no processes are thrashing, then the amount of memory consumed by the JVM will keep increasing until the heap grows to the maximum allocation or until the JVM or another process requests a block larger than is available in the heap.

If you are concerned by the amount of RAM allocated to TWS then you can simply minimize the frame. This will FORCE an immediate garbage collection cycle, freeing all the temporary objects. After minimizing, you will see that the amount of RAM allocated to the JVM task is vastly reduced.

If you need even more control over the memory management heuristics, java has a number of different garbage collectors available. Depending on your machine configuration and if you are willing to spend the time testing, you can vastly improve the JVM performance.

See this for more info:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html

#14     Apr 14, 2006
  5. Still have folks whining about the features, when , unless there's some horrible bug, THEY DO NOT IMPACT YOUR TRADING IF YOU DO NOT USE THEM.

TWS memory usage is not an issue on any modern computer with a decent amount of memory.

Instead of random nebulous complaints, give a specific issue. "My 386 with 128 meg of ram is having trouble with the latest build" . Something like that.

#15     Apr 14, 2006
  6. I downloaded the latest build in the last week or so. I don't have any problem of the type you describe. Makes me wonder what the source of your problems really is.

OldTrader

#16     Apr 14, 2006
  7. Absolutely no problems here either. I don't know what 'features' I am running. I never use anything but booktrader for entering orders. My charting is from a third party, and I'm not even sure what the other features of TWS are. BTW, I run a gig of ram with my data and charts, and also internet surfing. No CPU resource probs.

Jay

#17     Apr 15, 2006
  8. 10-20sec is quite some time,...try reduce u number of symbols and eliminate volumes data if u have it on; things should improve a bit.

#18     Apr 15, 2006
  9. RedmanPlus,

You are coming across as a moron, dickhead, or just an arrogant shite here. (* yes, i really enjoyed that, I've been nice to so many people including my teenagers that its a pure pleasure to tell you what a halfwit you are :) *)

I am one you might classify as an IB apologist ... but I'm not, I simply enjoy taking the piss from some of the complete idiots that attack IB.

In this case the answer is simple ... my version of TWS is now a couple of months old and I see no reason to ever upgrade in a hurry. Why would I need to? From time to time I download a stable version of the "latest" features but I sure don't use it unless I need it.

I did upgrade to the latest version for 857 just to see how it was running. It seemed fine. But I like 854 so I dropped back to that and am very happy with it :)

Thanks for that opportunity to chat.

By comparison with your post, localcrusher's was pretty reasonable. Except that I don't know why he did the upgrade in the first place. And why he doesnt just drop back if he doesnt like it. lc, let me know if u want a copy of 854 dropped on an ftp site somewhere.

#19     Apr 15, 2006
  10. yeah, but with 854 i cant use me crayons and paint booktrader columns as i wish...sniff :(

#20     Apr 15, 2006