IB Pages

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Eldredge, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

Can anyone help me with IB pages? I have a PIII 750 computer with 256ram and cable modem. I use the installed TWS, and it takes me about 15 seconds to switch from one page to another using the tabs. Does this seem normal? It would sure be nice to switch pages quickly. Any suggestions? I "chatted" with real-time help, but they weren't any help, and didn't tell me if this is normal. Thanks in advance.

2. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Have you tried launching the java applet directly from the ib website? I hear that for some people its much quicker this way.

3. Turok

Turok

This behavior is not normal for me or any of my trading partners who all use IB. Our computers are not significantly faster than yours so that is not the problem. Ours switch in the blink of an eye.

Reinstall the Java engine from MSFT and as suggested also try and run the program from the web as see if that changes anything.

JB

4. def

def Sponsor

It is definately not normal. I've heard of some incapatibilities with video cards but this doesn't seem to be the problem. Try sending a mail to the technical support group (tac@interactivebrokers.com). They should be able to help.

5. vitajex

vitajex

The same thing happened to me when I tried using
    the free software firewall ZoneAlarm (v 2.6.88).
    Similar setup to Eldredge's, cable modem. Only the
    TWS seemed to be effected. The page switching
    slowed to a crawl. I tried to find a workaround
    but ended up ditching the ZA.

-v

6. Babak

Babak

in defence of Zone Alarm:

it is the BEST firewall (short of hardware) I use it and would not surf without it *ever*. These past days I've been bombarded by port 80 probes - I feel for those that don't have protection.

I have not had any difficulty with Zone Alarm and it has not caused any conflict whatsoever.

If a firewall such as ZA is configured properly it does not interfer with regular function of your computer.

(I run Win2K + IB's installed TWS + ZA firewall)

7. I use ZoneAlarm too, it works fine. It's kind of slow to change pages , but nothing like 15 sec, more like 3sec.with 40 symbols per page (128Mb RAM). I was told that's because of the 40 symbols. Just my experience.I wouldn't go through the whole Java installation as they suggest for almost any problem with TWS though.

8. Babak wrote, in part..."past days I've been bombarded by port 80 probes - I feel for those that don't have protection."

Same thing is happening to me. In the morning I find that I've been hit with 40 or more probes overnight. What's with that? I use ZA-pro so all is well but still, I have never seen that kind of stuff before.

AS to the question of delay when changing pages on the IB interface, it probably is not normal. I've got about ten pages and a ton of symbols and the switch between pages is lightening fast. One thing that comes to mind, however, is the amount of ram you've got vs. the number of applications you have running. If Windoze has to save a bunch of stuff to the hard drive then I guess that the speed might be slower...how much I don't know.

Best regards,
    Jim
    PS - Eldredge, after one more reading, I find that you wrote that you have 256mb of ram...that is what I was running and the pages switched very fast...are you sure you don't have a bunch of other apps running? That swap to the HD can be painfully slow, depending on your computer and HD.

9. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks for the input. At least I have a few things to try now. Actually, I may have to wait until Monday.

I am using Zone Alarm, and having other applications running (or not) doesn't seem to change the problem.

Thanks again for the help. Any other input would be appreciated. I'll post again after I attempt some of these potential solutions.

10. I forgon to mention...you might go to the ZoneAlarm web site and get the demo of Zone Alarm *Pro*. It is free for the first 30 days. I think that ZoneAlarm, freeware, and ZoneAlarm Pro, paid, each work a little differently from the other. Jim

#10     Aug 18, 2001