IB: outside RTS vs. pre-open?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by zoned_post_meridiem, Apr 23, 2020.

1. This is going to sound like a newbie question, but I very rarely trade outside regular hours, and got caught short 100 shares of MSFT where the close didn't execute. Now I'm holding the short position overnight. I hate holding short positions overnight (even small ones), so I want to get rid of it as soon as possible. In IB's global config presets, I see two options for my close order:

- Allow order to be executed [...] outside RTH
    - Allow order to be routed and executed during pre-open session

But I can't select both of them. Does that mean the first option (outside RTH) covers the second one as well, and allows an order to be executed at 4 am? Or am I better off picking the second?

2. guru

guru

Yes, RTH covers both, before market opens and after it closes. That’s why you don’t need both options.

3. FrankInLa

FrankInLa

Choose outside RTH and put in a limit buy. Don't use market orders outside RTH on stocks as you will most likely get poor fills.

4. Thanks all. That's exactly what I've done -- put an outside RTH buy limit about 50c above the current price. And just in case my limit doesn't get filled, I put some way-out MNQ hedge out there, because that's how much I hate holding short overnight :)