IB options commissions

Discussion in 'Options' started by TITANIMUM, May 17, 2012.

1. hajimow

hajimow

#21     May 18, 2012
  2. hajimow

hajimow

#22     May 18, 2012
  3. hajimow

hajimow

#23     May 18, 2012
  4. hajimow

hajimow

That $92 commission is for 79 x2 contracts (combo order)which is about 0.61 per contract. Still cheap.

#24     May 18, 2012
  5. hajimow

hajimow

You are right. SMART routing is a little bit faster and I studied it a lot (through my hundreds trading). I came to the conclusion that for the kind of trades that I do, my highest rebate setting is the best. I set my price and if it hits it I will get it and if it does not, I will wait. I trsut IB so I know when I get something I should give something in return. Check out my today's trades attachment in my other post. It was to cover SPY June Call 138 at 0.6 which I sold two days ago at $1.14. After I bought it back at 0.6, it dropped to 0.58. So what?. Try this method, you will like it.

By the way, inferior price makes sense when you put market orders. For limit orders, inferior price does not have any meaning.

#25     May 18, 2012
  6. hajimow, do these low commissions not apply to combo orders?
    if not is there a way of getting lower commissions on combos what is it?

how do you buy without hitting the ask, hit bid and change it to buy and increase the bid so its the same or higher than ask?

cheers

#26     May 18, 2012
  7. hajimow

hajimow

I guess combo orders are handled by MMs so they are treated differently. I don't care to pay regular price for combo orders.

Let's say bid/ask are 0.1/0.12. If I want to buy I put an order to buy 0.11 or lower. If I want to sell I put an order to sell 0.11 or higher. Then I let the market moves toward me.

Some exchanges give rebate if you remove liquidity (just the opposite to NASDAQ which pays you when you add liquidity. I think PHILX or BOX are in that category. Not that knowing that will help.

#27     May 18, 2012
  8. Blazed

Blazed

hajimow, enlighten us:
    1.) which exchange do we direct to, to get the set up for highest rebate?
    2a.) if it only applies to single legs, you take on more risk with legging in to get lower commissions, no?
    2b) do you transmit the next orders immediately, eg vertical spread, you ready the orders, then click transmit once the first order is executed.

you said "By the way, inferior price makes sense when you put market orders. For limit orders, inferior price does not have any meaning."

you would expect an inferior price with market orders, but surely the price would just mean buying at the Ask and selling at Bid at the time? eg if the price at the second was (1.4 1.55) and you chose a market order to buy at that second, you would expect 1.55 not 1.65 right?

#28     May 18, 2012
  9. hajimow,
    so when would you choose to enter with combo orders as opposed to single legs / legging in?
    is there any method for reducing commission for combos?

you said " Let's say bid/ask are 0.1/0.12. If I want to buy I put an order to buy 0.11 or lower. If I want to sell I put an order to sell 0.11 or higher. "
    so do you click on the ask, get 0.12, then reduce it to 0.11 right? and if want to sell, click on bid, get 0.1, then increase it to 0.11 right? this would be decreasing liquidity right? PHILX or BOX being the ones to choose when removing liquidity and NASDAQ if you add liquidity (selling at bid or lower and buying at ask or higher?)

cheers

#29     May 18, 2012
  10. hajimow

hajimow

You don't direct your order to any exchange. You just set your TWS to highest rebate and then trade as you are transmitting your order in SMART.

I am stingy and frugal in paying commission but don't risk in combo orders. I pay regular price in combo orders. (sometimes one leg of combo gets executed in NASDAQ and I get rebate but that is not guaranteed.
    Yes if the bid/ask are 1.4/155 and you put market order, your worst case would be 1.55 if you are buying and 1.40 if you are selling unless market is changing in sub seconds. No one is sitting there to screw you for 10 cents. My experience shows that if the bid/ask are 1.40/155, in market order, I get something like 1.51. or 1.49.

#30     May 18, 2012