IB offering gateway access (API without TWS)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by SideShowBob, Mar 11, 2010.

1. FINALLY!!!!!!! Great news!

At last you did it! Very good!

I am up and running now. Now you guys at IB finally did something really right. No longer that ridiculous logoff (right??).

Very good! Keep going!

:))

Tom

#31     Apr 16, 2010
  2. LeeD

LeeD

The benefit is when a few chart windows are open TWS starts using more and more resources after a while. This is the reason TWS has scheduled restart. The Gateway doesn't collect any data itself and doesn't require a restart - it can run continuously for weeks.

You get the same data restrictions as with TWS.

#32     Apr 16, 2010
  3. Hmmm,

That is the reason why had the logoff ?? Nooo! :))

Makes me sad to hear that. I hoped there were a more important and profound reason for such highly annoying (and ridiculous) feature :)

I run robots which keep data practically for any number of instruments and they can run continuosly practically forever.

It's clear, if that is really the problem, that a simple algorithm of dynamic resampling can easily fix it. It doesn't take a genius to write it in less than an afternoon.

Tom

#33     Apr 16, 2010
  4. Anyway, very good job guys! :)

If I can offer a quick suggestion, for next releases, to IB, I would not mind at all having in the Gateway the possibility to show account information (position, P&L, Unr, Real, ...).

(And, possibly, updated realtime).

That way it would be just perfect. Do not add anything more! :))

Keep it simple as is (don't make the mistake to overload it with little used features as the tws) !

Tom

#34     Apr 16, 2010
  5. LeeD

LeeD

I would find this useful too... but I still hope this feature doesn't come any time soon.

It's very easy to open a can of worms here. People with access to multiple accounts (say, friends and family) will want the infor for all their accounts. Then info about open positions and order would be helpful... A few more requests and we have a fully-blown TWS here.

On the other hand, it's very easy to write a small application that tracks the state of the account. If you use Windows, it can even be done in Excel via DDE without any programming whatsoever.

#35     Apr 16, 2010
  6. No no. Just account info (pos, p&L, etc): that's it. Nothing more I would ask.
    It's important to double check that robots are in sync.

** IB wants autotraders right ? **

People using this stuff are only those with robots or downloading data. So no danger of tranforming this into a family mess!

With realtime account info, it would be just perfect. But no more than that!

Tom

PS. It would be anyway a VERY good idea making the logoff **optional ** in the TWS.
    Who is using it for charting anyway? ;-))

I would add that i would even prefer they remove or disable the charting at all, if necessary to get rid of the absurd logoff !

#36     Apr 16, 2010
  7. Tony98

Tony98

8. Thanks Tony,

I read and that message some time ago.
    That suggested method does NOT work. Have you tried it ? I did. I can assure you that it does not work. Maybe worked with past versions of the tws (??). But not now.

Anyway. That's not the point. We must not restort to "hack" to have something which is normal for a system which is meant to be used for autotrading (api).

BWT for IB guys, I am testing it. No problem so far.

Just noticed that the call:
    Tws.reqNewsBulletins(1 )

causes an error:
    Code: 321 Message: Error validating request:-'oc' : cause - This message is not supported. Id:-1

I understand that you are not supporting news and this is PERFECTLY FINE, but should provide a simple methos to detect whether we are connected to TWS or to the Gateway (please don't answer look at the port number!). I mean a programmatic method :)

ANOTHER IMPORTANT thing. When you are returning error message through the error handler ( Tws.errMsg) - and the message concerns a security - please include the security name in the message. Or else when autotrading folios, it's quite confusing.

Thanks!! :)

Tom

#38     Apr 16, 2010
  9. Just tried it out with Sierra Chart.

For anyone who missed how you use it/run it.

Download and install TWS 904
    In the Interactive Brokers menu in you'll find both TWS and the new IB Gateway.
    Click the second one.

Run just like TWS, changing the API socket to 7496 if you want to directly sub for TWS.

I initially opened it, connected Sierra Chart, placed and entry order, it filled, moved my target in and took a quick profit. A bit uncomfortable that I couldn't check for IB's view of the world.

So I turned on detailed logging. And didn't see much ... because I use the dark background and the logging doesn't show. Reopened Gateway with the traditional colours and all was well.

Looks good.
    Now have IB view confirmation (and might just learn to read ib log files.
    Opened another Sierra instance and it forms a second tab for the next instance. All very nice. All works.
    Uses under half the memory of standard TWS.

So, Congratulations IB. There have been a lot of requests for a thin TWS over the last couple of years. And a lot of requests to drop the 24 hour auto-logoff. And it seems you've heard us.

Thanks very much.

#39     Apr 19, 2010
  10. excellent, thanks kiwi

#40     Apr 19, 2010