"IB NOT a TRUE real time data source!"

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by TOM134, May 16, 2007.

1. I guess what you're saying is that tick or two made all the difference huh? LOL!!!

OldTrader

#11     May 20, 2007
  2. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

One way to keep costs down is to use QuoteTrader. The software is free supported by ads on Quote.com and it can use multiple brokerage feeds at the same time including IB, MB, Ameritrade. It has a trading front end and charting together.

Check out the latest version here:

http://www.quote.com/quotetrader/

Chuck

#12     May 21, 2007
  3. For following price, volume and reading order flow off the book trader IB's charts are fine. A tick here or there does not matter and you can't beat the price for data.

#13     May 21, 2007
  4. nove

nove

Yes. Another moaning thread.

IB's data will satisfy most traders' needs and there are fee based alternatives for those who create a strategy that needs every tick.

#14     May 21, 2007
  5. I what way does this keep costs down? It is just a frontend, like QT (= quotetraCKer) and Sierra. The data you see is as good as the data provider you choose behind it.
    Maybe I missed something?

Ursa..

#15     May 21, 2007
  6. We obviously don't trade the same way and that is fine....

When using fast volume charts and oscillators to accurately depict cycles, it makes a huge difference. Missing ticks also serve to hide the true extent of oscillation extremes...

If you can trade profitably with missing data I applaud you...one can only wonder what you might be able to do with accurate data....

#16     May 21, 2007
  7. Translation of the above...

Most traders don't need accurate prices...

For those that think accurate prices are important, they are available but you have to pay for them...

#17     May 21, 2007
  8. nove

nove

Incorrect translation

More correct:

Most traders don't need tick by tick accurate prices. IB will provide u a tick feed with 200ms resolution so it misses some prices.

But.

IB also provides a 5 second bar datafeed that is 100% accurate (well, as 100% as anyone elses) including all prices, transactions, volume info within the 5 seconds.

In both cases the data feeds do not lag during fast markets (unlike, say, esignal) Most traders don't need more than those two (combined or otherwise depending on trading style).

#18     May 21, 2007
  9. Thanks for that insight....

I have traded with people who don't get the same highs and lows that I do and are using free IB data....perhaps they didn't know how to set it up....perhaps it isn't as good as you think....it really doesn't matter....you appeared to be dismissing inaccurate prices as if though it was all no big deal....I just happen to disagree....

#19     May 21, 2007
  10. nove

nove

Either you or they may be inaccurate.

What I'm saying is that what IB gives you can be all you need for most traders. It can also be very accurate within the time resolutions provided by the delivery modes.

#20     May 21, 2007