IB -- No Connection??

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rcj, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Hoi

Hoi

This morning, from The Netherlands, we had IP-comm problems as well, but only to USA-server. I have two TWSs running one connected to European-server, and one to the usa-server. The USA-TWS had a pink-screen (as it should have, when your IP-comm has troubles), and checking pingplotter, it clearly shows big troubles in NewYork-switches (has nothing to do with IB and their services).

Just look at all red-block on the bottom of this ping-plotter screenshot:

• weg7.gif
      File size:
      16.4 KB
      Views:
    #31     Dec 4, 2007
  2. rcj

rcj

Robert,

Yes, this is what i saw earlier. While the problem was being fixed i was re-routed thru 2 switches in NYC per PingPlotter. Much better latency,BTW, on the patch route - like 20% better!!

rj

#32     Dec 4, 2007
  3. Koppanyi

Koppanyi

I have the same problem. For some days I haven't been able to enter the account management. Is it under service?
    Is there someone who can visit IB' homepage now?

Koppanyi

#33     Dec 4, 2007
  4. rcj

rcj

Kopp,

IB server in US has been up today as far as i know. Get PingPlotter to ck to see if path to your server is broken.

rj

#34     Dec 4, 2007
  5. Tums

Tums

I had no problem logging in last night.

I just tried a minute ago, again logged in the first try.

#35     Dec 4, 2007
  6. Koppanyi

Koppanyi

rcj,

Thanks but I'm not expert in servers, so if this program could detect a server breakdown I wouldn't be able to do anything. Tomorrow I'll try to enter IB's website from another PC.

However it is unusual that Ghost Typer have the same problem recently and I guess we are not in the same country.

Koppanyi

#36     Dec 4, 2007
  7. Koppanyi

Koppanyi

Interesting... I also tried now but nothing...
    Are you in USA?

#37     Dec 4, 2007
  8. With this sort of problem (internal issues to the "internet" itself) it may be more a question of which ISP do you use not which Country. The deals that your ISP has for transporting data may determine which routers and switches are traversed so you may lose your connection and the guy next door may not notice a problem.

Only solutions are patience and a second ISP (who might not have the same trans-USA linkages).

#38     Dec 4, 2007
  9. gangof4

gangof4

i tend to continue to disagree when you place the blame on ISP's.

my experience is that much of the disconnect crap is made even much worse by IB's poorly designed reconnect 'feature'. in many cases, it cannot manage to reconnect- load TWS on another computer on the same network, and you get connected (well... when the server isn't down for the count- which occurs WAY too often for a broker). point being, it's NOT my connection- it's the crap reconnect 'feature'. and, fwi, i have 3 separate connections (cable, dsl and 3g) for redundancy.

i've beaten the lack of redundancy to death and the defenders refuse to concede that a ready for prime time broker should have a SEAMLESS shift from the main to the backup if the server goes down. seriously, there is NO EXCUSE for IB not getting their shit together with TRUE back-up servers.

the frustrating thing to me (well, one of them) is that they have the money to remedy this crap and appear to have no desire to fix the fixable. they have all these products and markets and, it seems, made a decision that if you offer a lot of stuff @ reasonable commissions that they customer should tolerate a buggy, unreliable platform/connection.

like i've said, there is a serious opening for a competitor to step in with the same offerings, commission but with reliability (and maybe drop the attitude too). i've already taken my $2000-3000/month in US market commissions to another broker, and dream of the day that i can take my $4000-6000/month in intl commissions too.

/rant

#39     Dec 5, 2007
  10. For fuck's sake go4.

Read the posts that precede mine and look at the ping plots. Note where the issues are.

Apply your intelligence (if available) and you might just notice that they are showing internet problems. I will charitably assume that you know little about networks or your assertions would be less dogmatic.

Oh Gee ...

#40     Dec 5, 2007