IB News

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by def, May 29, 2002.

1. alanm

alanm

After hearing the great news last night, I waited for Instinet to open at 03:00 EDT (Thursday), and was able to successfully enter an order to buy 4x my cash balance in stock.

Just tried it again, too, and it's still true :)

I'm guessing it'll be in a communique with some other things, probably tonight.

#31     May 31, 2002
  2. IB absolutely rocks man! 4:1 overnight is outstanding.

If anyone's reading this thread and wondering whether IB is any good - YES, THEY ARE FANTASTIC! Commissions, executions, financial strength, innovations - they kick butt on all fronts. (And if you disagree, ignore me or PM me, but don't spoil this thread. I'm leaving IB to go prop anyway, so don't think I have any affiliations beyond a very satisfied customer.)

Def. What a great job this guy does answering everyone's questions and clueing us in on developments at the firm even before their own employees get it! Thanks!

Daniel

#32     May 31, 2002
  3. Def -
    Are there any plans IB wants to do an IPO in the (far) future -
    maybe when the markets are better again ?

#33     Jun 1, 2002
  4. sorry for my inadequate expression -
    i mean - if IB wants to go public -

thx

#34     Jun 1, 2002
  5. def

def Sponsor

the group has plenty of capital and thus i doubt there are any plans at present.

#35     Jun 1, 2002
  6. I guess this 4-1 overnight is a good thing, but does the thought that actually USING that leverage may be Russian Roulette?

Ok, we all know that IB users are sophisticated and spread the risk and have tons of backup capital. But.

If someone maxes out in a position that opens at 50% of it's close (happens) then they are now LOSING 100% of the account value.

Stock XYZ Close 50

50k account buys 4000 shares or 200k of XYZ

XYZ opens up at 25 (CEO on plane to Guatamala)

Stock Value 100k

Account Equity MINUS 50k

I know IB is big on risk management, so how are they addressing this kind of thing?

#36     Jun 2, 2002
  7. Hello Def + others,

i noticed on the website that CBoT market data
    is now not 100% free but:

- free for Mini-Dow Futures, mini ED, some others
    - $30/$60 for all other products

What does that mean ? In "account login", there is
    only one ACE/ACE depth, which is completely free.

When do I have to pay $30/$60 ?

Thanks
    Sascha

#37     Jun 3, 2002
  8. def

def Sponsor

I don't know if the web site contains old data or if policy will change. Questions like this are best asked on the IB-forum on the IB web site or via an e-mail to the help desk so they can follow through.

I'll see what I can find out and send you a PM.

#38     Jun 3, 2002
  9. You get all ACE data for free, because IB cannot seperate the CBOT Mini quotes from the rest of ACE data. Nice feature if you want to trade Mini-Dow (YM) and/or T-Bond (ZB).

#39     Jun 3, 2002
  10. Isn't A/C/E all you can trade on CBOT with IB? It's a cheap and fast way to trade the bonds. Counting the days 'till the crude and nat gas futures go on globex. They will rock.

Can someone tell me what happens if I am , say, long a regular T-bond, ie US, and I go short an A/C/E t-bond, ie ZB? The clearinghouse would not offset me, would they? What if I am long a rth currency future and go short a globex full-size future? Am I flat or long rth and short globex? I have received vague answers from my regular brokers on this.

#40     Jun 3, 2002