IB new security features- makes me mad!

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Kicking, Oct 4, 2007.

1. I hear it won^t be possible to trade without their security device to access everything .
    People at IB are out of their mind, as if we just needed a tiny little gizmo with us at all time, at work or when we travel, just to place a m*f*cking trade . Can't even imagine the mess it's gonna be when this thing is lost .

Wow REAL geniuses at IB !

2. rcj

rcj

Kick ... Try this. Punch up some codes, write em down and
    keep them in your wallet.

IB may go to something like HSBC uses - mouse operated virtual keyboard

3. Write down some codes?

Why bother, they use the same code every time.

4. LOL! You're just now hearing about the security device? Where you been? You have heard there's a bull market, right?

By the way, some of us like the security this device provides. Count me as one of them.

OldTrader

5. TRADERCJ

TRADERCJ

It clips to your key ring. It is a little bit of a pain in the a$$, but I would rather be safe, and know my money is secure. If some hacker takes your money, then you would be complaining that there should have been some kind of security device.

6. It is a pain in the butt, but let me tell you this from someone who has had his identity stolen--it's a relief.

I had my identity stolen back in 2004 to the tune of 26,000.00 plus--it took me 2 years to convince Equifax that I am really who I am and that I was ripped off. I now subscribe to a security company that guarantees my credit and identity and if I get my ID stolen again hey cover me 100%.

I feel like I live in a cloak and dagger society and at times I suspect anyone and everyone of fraud even though they are probably okay. I hate it, but thats what happens when you go thru a nightmare like this so taking five minutes to read off a plastic card is nooooooooo problemooooooooo.

So consider it a blessing in disguise.

GT

7. I think you guys are being too paranoid definitely a trader's trait of character.
    I am 100% for the security device for withdrawals or account management login. But there is no need for a security device when loging into a trading platform. You can't initiate withdrawals from the platform.
    Of course someone could trade in your account, but what's the probability that will happen vs the probability you will misplace or damage your device ?
    This is already happening with people not being able to trade for days or weeks.
    As for clipping this on your key ring, I certainly don't want that on my key ring!

IB is another evidence that the bigger a company gets the more idiots making decisions you get.

8. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99283&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Well, at least you say what you mean. However, I don't think that paranoid ideation and the type of mindset that makes a very good trader are positively correlated.

I'll try to emulate your honest approach and say that suggesting IB management are 'idiots' is... well, sort of silly. I think they probably know what they're doing.

IB has shown that they are looking out for themselves first and foremost. I have posted here that, having opened an account recently, their customer service isn't anywhere near as bad as some people here say it is. They have their strengths and you have to deal with whatever it is that bugs you. Isn't that like any business relationship?

9. Why not just opt out ... I thought that was an option now. You can balance paranoia vs risk to suit yourself.

10. wenzi

wenzi

The reason ( one of them anyway ) IB uses the security device is that they were hit with a penny stock scam.

Thiefs used stolen IB accounts to run up a penny stock in a pump and dump scam so they made money without doing actual withdrawals.

#10     Oct 7, 2007