IB Multiple Order Question

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by walterjennings, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Hey. I was wondering if anyone knew how to submit a limit order through IB and have a second market order be transmitted as soon as the limit order is filled (if it is).

Is this possible with IB? Also will the market order be held / sent from TWS or from IB's servers? I am looking for the market order to be submitted as soon as possible after the limit order gets filled.

Thanks

2. Retief

Retief

Enter a limit order to buy whatever in the TWS. Then attach an autostop to the limit order, by right clicking on the order. After the autostop is attached, change the order type from "STP" to "MKT", and transmit the limit order together with the attached market order.

If the limit order executes, the attached market order should immediately be submitted. I'm not sure why you would want to do this, but it should work.

Try it with your IB paper trade account first.

3. I meant say that the second market order would for a different security. not the one bought with the limit order.

4. Retief

Retief

I'm not sure how to do that. You might try doing it with an alert.

Open up alerts, select "execution" and enter whatever security you're interested in. You can also add in some additional logic if needed or desired.

Then go to the orders to be submitted, and enter the market order for the security that you want if the alert is hit.

You might also try posting your question in the IB forums or having a chat with IB tech support.