IB Mobile TWS Two-Factor Authentication Delay

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by ET180, Nov 1, 2019.

1. I've noticed a lot of IB/TWS issues in the last month. It feels like they have hired interns to take over the tech stack. For example, I had market data issues that prevented me from trading. Then I had account access issues. This was over the span of one week. I tweeted it, though my tweets get automatically deleted so you won't see it now. The day I tweeted, I had a nice profit but it was stressful as fuck. I didn't trade again until the issues were resolved. To their credit, support said it was a known issue.

I have also noticed this delay in 2FA increasing over time.

I've seen things like this happen before in tech companies before they crater or (more likely) become stale/obsolete. So my worry is that IBKR is somehow on the downtrend.

Perhaps what has happened is in the rush to capture the Robinhood refugees, they have redirected resources in a sub-optimal way and will fix things soon.

My suggestion is to put in a chat with support so they collect data points on issues that customers see.

#11     Nov 3, 2019
  2. vanv0029

vanv0029

I recently had a related problem. I use the IB mobile app 2 step authentication only to log in to IB account management. The two step authentication quit working because I tried the T Mobile US, international high speed data and free calls plan while traveling in Switzerland. Somehow my cell's location got reset so IB and all my bank send message to mobile authentications quit working (message never came). I needed to reset my android phone and wait 24 hours so that T mobile could fix the problem.

#12     Nov 3, 2019
  3. Ryan81

Ryan81

It is doing it right now for me, multiple times in a row. IB isn't coming up on my mobile phone for authentication. It did it yesterday morning to me too (although, only once, yesterday.)
    So annoying.

#13     Nov 6, 2019
  4. Sorry to say my reply above needs an update since I've been frequently experiencing intermittent failing delays with IB notifications all past week. Most of the time they just don't arrive in time for the handshake pop-up to keep waiting so it reverts back to the login prompt after 3 minutes.

#14     Nov 8, 2019
  5. isc1746

isc1746

=====
    Yes. I no longer use Second Factor Authentication for the TWS. Issue is IB Server Lag previously discussed.

#15     Nov 11, 2019
  6. You can fix this by logging into IBKR on your mobile, I think it's got something to do with the app going to sleep on your phone.

#16     Nov 11, 2019
  7. ET180

ET180

That's a good point. On Android, the OS will periodically prompt you to put apps which use a lot of power to sleep. I made sure that IB Mobile was not on that list. I also added it to the unmonitored apps list so Android will not interfere with its background operation. However, I don't think that's the issue in my case.

https://tunecomp.net/stop-apps-from-draining-battery-on-galaxy/

#17     Nov 11, 2019
  8. Same, except it still happens until I launch the app manually. So something is fucky.

#18     Nov 11, 2019
  9. Ryan81

Ryan81

I don't think it is a problem of Android "putting the app to sleep". The problem is happening to me right now. And I've tried opening the android app so it is active BEFORE I even tried logging into TWS. It's clearly a problem on IB's end.

#19     Nov 15, 2019
  10. ET180

ET180

Yeh, I experienced the issue twice today.

#20     Nov 16, 2019