IB Mobile Trader w PALM i705

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by estrader, Jan 2, 2003.

1. In that case I would still with the Palm Tungsten C. Pretty low cost for a new PDA, solid battery life and has a Qwerty keyboard which is a nice feature....

If you are maybe interested in a Pocket PC, I'd go with the HP iPAQ 2215. That thing is pretty slick!

#11     Oct 23, 2003
  2. I've taken a look at the Sony Clie PEG-UX50 - Now that's something to be desired :) . It moved to the top of the list. Only problem is, it has only 16Mb of it's memory dedicated for applications. What that about??? :confused:

TM Trader

#12     Oct 25, 2003
  3. 16MB?? That is small. The UX-50 is loaded up. That suprises me. I'm pretty sure you can get a 32 or 64mb memory stick for that device if you want...

#13     Oct 26, 2003
  4. I couldn't find anywhere if there is any limitation to how much memory this device can support. But Memory Stick come with upto 256Mb, and they are not too expensive. So this can solve the memory probelm.

TM Trader

#14     Oct 26, 2003
  5. Chitown

Chitown

Don't know if it makes a difference but I work at the CBOT and the majority of traders who use a handheld on the floor use the Dell Axiom.

#15     Oct 28, 2003
  6. Really? They use an Axim? Does Dell have a deal with the CBOT? That's kinda interesting. There is a new Axim out called the Axim X3i. Basically the same as the first but a little faster processor and more memory.

#16     Oct 28, 2003
  7. Chitown

Chitown

I think they have an agreement but Dell isn't the only one. I want to say some also use a Samsung but I am not sure, I will check that out tomorrow. The models are the X5, some traders might use the new model but from what I have seen they all use an X5.

The Dow Pit is going through steps to make hand-helds primary and do away with cards.

#17     Oct 28, 2003
  8. That makes sense..... I hope the exchanges all move towards the wireless model soon. I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

#18     Oct 29, 2003
  9. Chitown

Chitown

OK, the other handheld available is the Compaq iPaq not a Samsung.

Both Compaq and Dell have agreements with the Board. The handhelds are given to traders to use with A/C/E and right now they are free. For Dow Traders, if they do not put their trades on the handheld they will start being charged to use it. Eventually (6 months perhaps) they will be charging everyone to use them.

They both use PocketPC and the trading platform is LeapFrog. I think its the same stuff for those children's books.

The trader gets one and he gets one for his clerk too. As the trader makes his trades they are directly routed to his clerk's so they can be checked.

I have heard mixed reviews about them. My friend who trades the dow actually made 22 ticks by accident. He was trading in the pit and had the handheld in his hand and his finger was hitting the screen and making trades. I have heard of a lot of guys who have lost because of that.

The biggest advantage the handheld plays for these guys is the ability to quickly arb the pit and mini.

#19     Oct 29, 2003
  10. I got the UX50, this thing ROCKS!!!! :D

#20     Nov 12, 2003