IB Mini Dow trading?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by etherboy, Sep 25, 2003.

1. etherboy

etherboy

Anyone trade mini DOW ($5) at InteractiveBrokers? When I look at their website, they showed CBOT A.C.E trading hour is 12:15 - 17:00 (ET) & 20:40 - 23:50, doest that mean you can trade mini DOW in the afternoon session, not in the morning?

Thinking open a account with them, but mini DOW is what I wanna trade.

2. etherboy, that is not correct. YM is available to trade at IB whenever the A/C/E has it open, except for the nightly maintenance from about 12am-12:45am Eastern time.

3. etherboy

etherboy

thanks. will apply one.

4. josbarr

josbarr

The CBOT mini-sized Dow set a new daily volume record, trading 68,752 on September 24, 2003. I believe it moves to Liffe Connect Platform in November

5. etherboy

etherboy

Thanks.

Watching mini dow futures for over a month, have bigger trading range than mini S&P and Nasdaq, easier to calculate too.

6. What do you mean by easier to calculate too? means easier
    to anticipate or to predict or ...?

7. etherboy

etherboy

Yep.

1. Easier to calculate because its minimum fluctuation is 1 point, so you don't have 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 . And

2. Easier to predict & anticipate.

Just wonder DOW has only 30 stocks. NASD100=100 stocks, S&P500=500 stocks. So it's easier to move DOW index when they pick one of 30 company to manipulate.

Today, Kodak (EK) is the target, down 18%. Last week I think is MO (court judgement), 2 weeks ago is HD (because of hurricane)

Got it?

If you want to move NASD100, how many stocks you have to manipulate? Let along S&P 500.

It's my observation.

8. Why on earth would anyone want to trade the e-mini Dow? The only thing that it is good for, possibly, is to learn discipline, i.e., to quickly get out of a position when it starts to against you.

It behaves erratically. And even if you are using a super-fast platform, i.e. TT's X-Trader, prices can disappear much faster than you can click on them Today I sold it at 9381, puked em at 9386 at 2:04 pm CST, hitting my daily loss limit. When I sold them, the S & P e-minis were sitting still. Nonetheless, the Dow spiked up, immediately before cruising 100+ points down. Frustrating, to say the least. . . . . .

9. here on elite ... market surfer perhaps (?)

says he spreads the dow ( mini dow )? against

individual dow stocks ... I keep meaning to ask him

if he holds em overnight ( the spreads)

:)

10. etherboy

etherboy

The way I'm going to trade is maybe only twice a day, 4 times most. So I'll try to draw possible support/resistance & trendline the day before and only trade where I see a very good possibility of a good trade.

I watched all indexes closely and I feel if you can pick top & bottom, you will make more profit than trading mini S&P and Nasdaq.

But I'm a newbie in futures, just learning, only when I'm in market then I will know how I perform.

#10     Sep 26, 2003