IB midnight reboots (Eastern time)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by polpolik, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Retief

Retief

I think for you in New Zealand, the US market closes at 5 AM your time. You then have three hours to eat breakfast or whatever before the Australian market opens at 8:00 AM.

#31     Oct 20, 2007
  2. There are products which are still trading in the major US markets when Asian reset time clicks in. For example US index & interest-rate futures in CME/CBOT, Commodities futures in NYMEX(COMEX) etc.

Refer to http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/products.php?ib_entity=llc#america for details.

PS:
    - After-hour trading of stock is not considered.

- To be more specific, the Asian reset time starts some time ahead before some US markets close (not in the middle literally).

- To resolve the problems some posters mentioned, either set the reset time shortly after the close of Asian markets, or shortly after the close of US markets.

- There is a problem caused by Daylight Time Saving. The Asian reset time doesn't have DST so it doesn't switch when the markets opening/closing period switches. Perhaps the Asian reset time can use EST time as the basis, or offer more choices about system reset time.

#32     Oct 21, 2007
  3. bunkinc

bunkinc

Reset time for US should be 5:15pm to 6pm EST. This is the only time while there is no US market trading.

#33     Oct 25, 2007
  4. What is the Nasdaq-100 After Hours IndicatorSM?
    The Nasdaq-100 After Hours Indicator is also an index of trading activity. The AHI is based on extended trading prices during the after hours market, 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. ET.

#34     Oct 25, 2007
  5. himself

himself

Question:

I am in NY and my current reset time is around midnight.

How can I get my reset time to be "15:59 – 17:00EST"

Thank you.

#35     Oct 25, 2007
  6. bunkinc

bunkinc

I wasn't aware they traded stocks that late.. what do I know, I only trade futs.

#36     Oct 25, 2007
  7. ZRA

ZRA

IB can solve this problem effortlessly by moving the reboot time past 5:15 AM HKT. Of course IB doesn't wanna do. Why not?

#37     Nov 11, 2007
  8. cstfx

cstfx

Your account would be on the HK server which means all your orders would then be transmitted to HK for processing. If you are trading Us markets, that would not be a wise move.

I have set up a second account with IB according to def's recommendations and will see how easy it is to move funds back and forth on demand. I trade currencies and having the TWS down for a while around midnite is not good. So we'll see.

#38     Nov 11, 2007
  9. ZRA

ZRA

umm... The delay is not going to be more than half of a second. I don't think it matters. It may matter for those who like to chase after price especially when they move rapidly. For people who like to keep some cash in both accounts (stock + futures), you are losing first 40K of interest if it matters you. You have to split your capital into two to trade in both. Your commissions will be counted separately?

#39     Nov 11, 2007
  10. cstfx

cstfx

I think someone here posted a ping test and it was something like 15ms us server and 250 ms hk server. Granted, we are talking a fraction of a second, and for most people that's not an issue, but there are some arb'd traders that ned that time. i think you notice it more if you are trying to trade the L2 quotes and such. If adding liquidity, it SHOULDN"T be that bad.

#40     Nov 11, 2007