IB midnight reboots (Eastern time)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by polpolik, Sep 25, 2007.

1. JackR
    How do you test ping to IB server
    is US? what address do you ping?
    Special address for Trading platform?

Thanks

#11     Oct 17, 2007
  2. JackR

JackR

US = gw1.ibllc.com (208.245.107.3)
    mtkgw.ibllc.com (208.245.107.9)

You can use the built-in Windows XP ping.

Go to Start -"Run" . Click on "run" Type "cmd" in the window that opens. Another window will open. Type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where the xxx is the IP address. Hit Enter.

For help just type ping.

For extra excitement type "tracert" and hit return. Read the help.

Jack

#12     Oct 18, 2007
  3. Retief

Retief

I found this in another thread: ping IB's US server using ping gw1.ibllc.com and ping IB's HK server using ping gw1.ibllc.com.hk

My ping for the US server averages 213 ms, while my ping for the HK server averages 73 ms. I've already submitted an order ticket to have my taxable account moved to the HK server. According to IB the move is supposed to happen this weekend.

In the meanwhile until the move occurs, I've been paper trading the HSI with my IB simulation account. I've noticed strange things happen in the timeframe beginning about 40 minutes prior to the close of he morning session on the HKFE.

Specifically, I get into situations where I can't close a position. The price action will blow through stops without executing them, and often, I can't even close the position by putting in a market order. The TWS just ignores it and I'm stuck with the position until the afternoon session opens.

The frequency of such events occurring seems to increase as the time before the end of the morning session decreases. It rarely happens thirty minutes or more before the morning session close, but I had it happen to me once about thirty-five minutes before the close of the morning session.

Is this TWS behavior due to the US server being reset or is it something peculiar about IB's simulation accounts? I've also experienced such behavior when papertrading some equities on US exchanges with IB's simulation account.

#13     Oct 18, 2007
  4. JackR

JackR

When it started the paper trader definitely had frequent problems executing orders but they've pretty well cleared it up for me (but they still happen).

I have no clue about the Asian market and how the paper trader simulates those markets. Where is the "paper server"? US or HK. How does your local time map to the US ET 3 hour rolling reset? HK's 1 hour reset?

IB says resets between:
    23:50 – 03:00 EST
    03:59 – 05:00 HKT

As to the reset periods and trading IB says:
    While IB offers 24 hour trading, there is a brief period in each business day where certain services may be temporarily unavailable as part of regular system maintenance. This reset period is usually less than 1 minute for most accounts and are scheduled during the times described above

During the reset period, there will be an interruption in the ability to login or manage orders. Existing orders (native types) will operate normally although execution reports and simulated orders will be delayed until the reset is complete.

Note the term "native types" used by IB. That means orders resting on an exchange server, not ones IB simulates. I'd call the HK office.

Jack

#14     Oct 18, 2007
  5. def

def Sponsor

HK server as you'll still need your order routed to the HK exchange.

#15     Oct 18, 2007
  6. Retief

Retief

According to the IB person I spoke to about moving my taxable account to the HK server, she said that the IB simulation account associated with my taxable account would also move to HK server. So I presume that my "paper server" is currently hosted on the IB US server.

There's a twelve hour difference between HKT and EST at the moment based from the info at qlock.com. So if US server resets are beginning at 23:50 EST, that would overlap with the strange behavior that I see in the TWS right before the close of the morning session on the HKFE with my IB simulation account. However, it would not account for strange behavior prior to that time unless US server resets sometimes occur 20 to 30 minutes earlier than scheduled.

I don't believe HK follows the practice of daylight-savings time as the US does, so the twelve hour difference should change by one hour when the US goes off daylight-savings at the end of October.

In any event, next Monday I should have an account on the IB HK server and I will be able to observe whether that largely eliminates the odd behavior right before the close of the morning session on the HKFE.

#16     Oct 18, 2007
  7. Thanks Retief
    I have a US ping of 35ms
    good shape for me

#17     Oct 18, 2007
  8. thank you Jack

#18     Oct 18, 2007
  9. Is this good, bad or normal?

Thanks

#19     Oct 18, 2007
  10. Schaefer

Schaefer

I have moved my account log in, to HK servers since last Monday. I couldn't be happier, as I don't have to deal with the dreaded US server reset around Midnight, anymore.

I trade the MHI (Mini HSI), and N225M (Mini Nikkei), and the data seem to be a bit more smoother than the US server. It may just be my imagination, but I'm happy none the less.

One other thing, I couldn't log in to the HK server, after the server change from US. I had to uninstall TWS, then reinstall, and only then it would let me log in to HK server, wierd but worked.

Happy trading,
    Schaefer

#20     Oct 18, 2007