IB market data stall --- TWS or Java or Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by SciTrader, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Anybody experience this same issue?

Recently (at least for 3 days) market data on TWS sporadically stall, then burst, then stall again, most noticeably for US futures, to a less extent for US stocks, while spot forex seems to be least affected.

In doubt Java SE 7u40 was the culprit, I reverted to 7u25. The first day the issue seemed to alleviate, but then again the next day the same situation, even worse.

I have tried JRE 7u45, 7u25, 7u21, 6u45, and even JRockit 1.6.0_45-R28, in combination with Standalone TWS 936.9/940.4 and Browser Based 9411/9369/9420. No luck.

ThinkorSwim ThinkDesktop (also Java-based but come with its own JVM) is fast and reliable recently. My local broker's feed is also ok.

So, what's the problem? Java? TWS? Windows 8? or IB's back-end?

2. just21

just21

Who is your isp? Can you connect wirelessly using the hotspot on your phone to bypass your isp?

3. gmst

gmst

Why do you think its an ISP problem? Thanks.

4. just21

just21

You need to eliminate the isp as other people are not reporting the problem.

5. gmst

gmst

agreed thanks :)

6. rwk

rwk

I had a situation recently whereby some quotes stopped updating while other continued. I have been an IB customer for 11 years, and this is the first time I noticed this. I use my own app via the API, but the TWS was also showing the problem. I stopped and restarted the TWS, and everything was normal.

This would not be an ISP problem. I am running old (i.e. stable) versions of both TWS and API, but latest versions of Java and Win7. It could be my app, but I doubt it. I suspect the problem was on IB's side.

7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Assuming you have latest TWS installed, uninstall java and reinstall the latest version.

8. gmst

gmst

I had a thread related to disconnects I get from IB from time to time. However, not many guys responded.

Do you see this red flashing alerts?

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278585

9. I live in Taiwan (NOT a province of China), using CHT's HiNet which is responsible for almost all overseas connection. I use fiber-based xDSL.

As I had said, ThinkorSwim, which used to be slow, is fast and reliable recently. And my local broker's feed, relayed from Reuter's, is also acceptable. Both on the same PC with IB TWS.

For more than one decade, to me, thousands of miles away from USA, IB TWS is one of the most fast and reliable source for market data, on par with TT and CQG, ... until recently.

If it's some glitches on IB's part they usually get fixed quite quickly; If it's Java, I've tried 7u45/7u40/7u25/7u21 and 6u45. And my Windows Server 2012, configured for desktop use - essentially same as Windows 8, has served me quite well for nearly one year.

And judging from IB's huge and active customer base spreading around the globe, if this is a widely-experienced issue, there should be a lot of complaints on this forum, or problem reports on the web. But nothing googled.

So what's the matter? This time I really have no idea.

ps. One observation: The first two or three hours of US Regular Trading Hours seem to be worst. The last two days also experienced same issue. Now (13:10 EST, USA) IB's market data seem to be back to normal. And I didn't notice this kind of market data issue during the Asia session.

This leads me to think that it might be IB's market data servers, or glitches of hubs/routers of some ISP's in the USA.

10. rwk

rwk

@gmst: I see those alerts quite often, but not in the case I mentioned. I was displaying a grid of option prices on SPY, one of the most liquid markets. The OTM option prices were changing, but not the ATM prices which I was looking to trade. I called IB support and confirmed my prices were wrong. Stopping and restarting the tws and my app fixed the problem. This happened a week or so ago, and I haven't seen it before or since.

@SciTrader: You probably should be using IB's HongKong gateway if you're not already.

#10     Oct 18, 2013