IB Margin Requirements

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by TM1982, Jun 7, 2009.

1. TM1982

TM1982

How does having more stringent margin requirements equate to playing with adults? On the contrary, "adults" are interested in more leverage, not less.

#11     Jun 8, 2009
  2. moarla

moarla

but 18 y.o. dont care about risk. they think they are the best they are god.
    its normal in that age, but not so good in trading business

#12     Jun 8, 2009
  3. TM1982

TM1982

What do 18 y.o. have to do with my thread? I'm talking about college educated, working professionals who set up an account at IB and get shafted on the margin requirements

In order to make money selling options, you need to lever up. If you can't, what's the point?

#13     Jun 8, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

IB margin requirements are on their website. failure to look at it before opening the account is the reason you got"shafted".

#14     Jun 8, 2009
  5. .

#15     Jun 8, 2009
  6. TM1982

TM1982

Again this has nothing to do with my question. I'm simply trying to figure out why IB's margin requirements are so out of whack with everyone else.

#16     Jun 8, 2009
  7. well point is you have overread/looked the answer now three times. Have not couple people told you why? IB is in business for over 25 years now and they risk management is as good as it gets, I do not want to deposit my funds with any other pure broker, period. That would not be an issue for people like you who do not seem to be having too much of an issue if their broker went under (I judge that from your wining around about putting up an extra 22k in margin deposit, let alone that even then you would be helplessly overleveraged and would deserve to blow out to learn your lesson).

#17     Jun 8, 2009
  8. cstfx

cstfx

Simply put they (IB) do it (have higher margins) because they can and this is how they operate. No where (anywhere) is it written that any broker HAS to give you exchange minimum margins. It is up to the trader (gambler) to decide the level of leverage/risk that he/she wants to use. And once you determine that level you will find a broker who will accommodate your needs.

If IB does not fit your needs, then stop bitching about it and find one that does.

#18     Jun 8, 2009
  9. TM1982 will be fine as soon as he blows out and has to go back to flipping burgers for a few years to get his stake back.

#19     Jun 8, 2009
  10. TM1982

TM1982

funny

#20     Jun 8, 2009