IB Margin change

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hybridmachine, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doher

doher

Originally posted by def

"This policy protects the firm and the balance of the clients who have little risk of any client overextending the firm. This policy has been clear from day 1 and for any large account it is a major selling point"

Have You checked the actual IB margin requirements

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-pub/margin_amer.pl

DTB NMAX FN50 Initial Margin $63

Lois Price quote " geezuz....I met the requirements when i opened the account and I think i still meet the requirements. This way they can deduct that $10 for 199 months till its gone i guess.....brutal"

Bottom line - IB knowingly set the NQ Intraday Initial Margin -at $1125 -now suddenly they are thrusted into a position of risk'

This is an affront to common sense.

Either IB is incompetent in assessing risk or they are outright liars

#31     Nov 7, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

blue, bsam, tech, etc. thanks.

doher,
    you left out the beginning of my sentence. when you say this policy - i am not referring the the 2K I am referring to IB's no margin call policy. don't twist my words.

You think that I am speaking on behalf of the firm. I clearly stated that I do not know the cause for the policy - albeit I admit I agree with it. Assessing risk, that I can say for certainty, there are few firms that can do it better. Thus according to your logic and because of statements which I said are MY OPINION/thoughts - you call the firm a liar and thus by associate that I am a liar. Nice try.

I don't know of other firms that allow accounts to be opened with balances as low as 2K. In any event, the firm has has the 2K policy in effect for stocks. For all I know the policy was put in place for consistency. I'll repeat from an earlier post. How come you and others never complained about the equity margin policy?

From the web site:
    "All stocks bought or sold on margin require a minimum of $2,000 in equity. Stock bought with cash does not have a minimum equity requirement. "

#32     Nov 7, 2002
  3. cheeks

cheeks

well said...

IB requires 2k to trade futures. So what?......
    They still will let you open an account with less than any other broker requires, and give you rock bottom commish with no volume quotas. For small traders this company is a godsend!

#33     Nov 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.