IB loses $28 million buying MF Global Stock

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by western, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jayre

jayre

Yeah.... that's a good one.
    However they want be able to cover it from 1 liquidation of a spread, but from thousands of liquidation that's probably a different story.

Who knows, mabye they will tighten margin again now... (obviosly because of the volatility..)

#31     Nov 9, 2011
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I thought you were a playa. I could have only assumed the liquidation you suffered at the hands of IB cost you millions.

#32     Nov 9, 2011
  3. jayre

jayre

I would have thought based on your serial defending IB, that you probably trade with them in the Billions. Now I find out that you hate IB because of their liquidation polices, and because their reps don’t know you by first name. I guess you need some hand holding, then IB is not for you.

#33     Nov 9, 2011
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

No they are not. I don't hate them. But I know for my strategy (which is often short vol) a stringent liquidation policy can be troublesome. I also figure that I have enough things to worry about, my broker should be there to resolve any problems I have quickly and efficiently. IB won't do that for me. But I don't like it when people don't take responsibility for what happens to them. As part of the trade off, my ability to trade futures has been severly curtailed. IB's aggregate risk and cash management between the accounts would have been nice.

#34     Nov 9, 2011
  5. Options12

Options12 Guest

Does anyone know how many MF Global shares IB owned as of September 30th?

#35     Nov 14, 2011
  6. Why, you want to make them an offer?

#36     Nov 15, 2011
  7. Options12

Options12 Guest

The 10Q states the dollar value of the shares as 16 million as of September 30th.

Has IB clarified when the 8 million shares referenced by the press were purchased?

#37     Nov 15, 2011
  8. Options12

Options12 Guest

This one's ironic:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/download/IB08-102.pdf

#38     Nov 15, 2011
  9. Dont you guys remember Wall Street? Gekko used to secretly buy up stock before the takeover.

"Look, Jerry, I'm looking for negative control, no more than 30
    to 35%, just enouqh to block anybody else's merger plans and
    find out from the inside if the books are cooked. If it looks as
    good as on paper, we're in the kill zone. We lock and load pal..."

Gordon's loss on Bluestar was probably more than 28mill and that was 25 years ago :p

#39     Nov 15, 2011
  10. #40     Nov 15, 2011