IB lagging and stuck quotes for ES

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwidtrader, Nov 7, 2001.

1. I haven't experienced the problems that tymjr has. While IB has had delay problems on the quotes both yesterday and today, the executions have still been perfect. As I mentioned, I use RealTick for the charting and timing of my trades on ES. I place both limit and stop orders and they executed at the proper times and prices, without any slippage, even though the IB quotes were off.

Of course, if I'd have had all the problems tymjr mentioned, I wouldn't be too happy with IB either, but my experience has been very positive.

#11     Nov 7, 2001
  2. BSAM

BSAM

If IB can't OR won't fix the problems with their quotes, then why not forget IB's quotes and just execute trades based on data from your regular data provider, as damonjanis states? Of course, IB should have already straightened out this problem. But if one believes that their (IB) quotes are inaccurate, why not use the software that you (hopefully) have otherwise? Am I missing something here?

BSAM

#12     Nov 7, 2001
  3. tymjr

tymjr

damonjanis: “I place both limit and stop orders and they executed at the proper times and prices, without any slippage, even though the IB quotes were off.”

Certainly there have been many times when this has been my experience, as well. Unfortunately, those times are too inconsistent, in my case.

BSAM: “But if one believes that (IB) quotes are inaccurate, why not use the software that you have? Am I missing something here?”

Quote lag is not my primary issue. Execution lag is. The primary delays result from inconsistent pauses between activation of an order, actual transmission, and receipt of the order. These delays can range anywhere from a few seconds to forever. A few seconds can be the difference between .50-1.00 point per contract with a market order or no fill at all with a limit order. IB is not nearly as fast and reliable as J-Trader. Depending on the type of setups you trade, though, this may or may not be a problem.

Thanks to both of you guys for your comments. Thanks to def, as well, for his words.

#13     Nov 7, 2001
  4. BSAM - you'll likely have the option of being able to trade on TWS without IB quotes in the near future and receive your quotes from your preferred source.

Other folks may choose to receive their quotes from IB and pay a $ 10 monthly fee. Good news is that $ 10 monthly fee is per user - not per account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by def:

"There has been a decision to allow DDE links into the system which may be a precursor to allowing someone not to subscribe to quotes."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2794&perpage=6&pagenumber=15

#14     Nov 7, 2001
  5. tymjr

tymjr

js1257: “I remember you saying that you use PMB and jtrader with them, who else do you use? Who in your opinion is the most reliable?”

I use PMB, DirectTrade, CIS, IB, and a friend’s full service brokerage. PMB has been the quickest while the full service broker has been the most reliable. My testing was strickly limited to J-Trader vs. IB.

#15     Nov 8, 2001
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

I have different experience. I've observed TWS and eSignal Emini quotes for about 2 weeks. Most of the time, TWS got faster quotes than eSignal !

I use 128 kbs cable modem, very reliable, and my internet provider is linked to U.S. backbones with a very good quality connection ( I live in Europe ).

TWS quotes sometimes lag, freeze, but it happens rarely. Again: I observed this only for 2 weeks.

Does anybody have any experience with DAX futures quotes and executions quality with TWS vs J-trader?

DT-waw

#16     Nov 8, 2001
  7. MORE

MORE

Tymjr is right : the most important is not the quote lag but the execution lag which could make the difference between a successfull trade and a loss.

#17     Nov 8, 2001
  8. So far I only experienced problems with the emini quotes on the afternoon of the FOMC meeting. Something I would have expected anyway from my past experience with their data for equities. IB futures quotes seem however to be much more reliable (thank god) than their stock quotes. The emini DOM sucks of course. For those who traded in such circumstances, have you also experienced execution delays, are stops and limit orders executed despite the quotes being inaccurate?

#18     Nov 8, 2001
  9. Quotes for ES continue to lag. Spoke to IB support today. They also saw the problem on their system.

Lets hope it is solved soon

#19     Nov 8, 2001
  10. well I noticed a lag too sometime during the afternoon.

#20     Nov 8, 2001