IB intraday margin requirements changed.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by petteri, Aug 6, 2007.

1. You and droskill need to learn how to read. This applies to INTRADAY margins, not overnight margin. And by the way, they don't need to give you "notice"....they need to protect themselves from potential risk in a highly volatile climate.

OldTrader

#11     Aug 6, 2007
  2. You only need twice the account if you were using $1750 margin. I don't know anyone trading 100 lots with $1750 per....do you?

OldTrader

#12     Aug 6, 2007
  3. Dude - I read the notice - and yes, I know a few people that trade that size lots intraday. And I also didn't imply they "needed" to give notice - I just found it interesting - nothing else.

#13     Aug 6, 2007
  4. Note: I said people that trade 100 lots with $1750 each margin.

OldTrader

#14     Aug 6, 2007
  5. There's still plenty of brokers offering $500 margins if that becomes an issue. Hell, I think Global has a $300 margin account as well.

#15     Aug 6, 2007
  6. abxs

abxs

Actually I do know someone :)

Agreed not a whole lot of people (and not myself for the record) but it's not unrealistic at all if you look at the T&S orders passing through on the ES.

#16     Aug 6, 2007
  7. abxs

abxs

I agree they don't NEED to, but at least they could've given a notice... the changes in volatility did not start Friday but have been for last couple of weeks now.

Also, their webpage isn't updated with the new margin requirements yet. It just gives me the impression they acted in a rush.

#17     Aug 6, 2007
  8. abxs

abxs

Not much adaptation needed in my plan... I justed change my stop & target based on the volatility and small down positions size obviously. Best to stay to a fixed % risk exposure for each trade imho.

#18     Aug 6, 2007
  9. petteri

petteri

I wonder if IB would have increased overnight margin for new positions as well if IB had possibility change overnight margin without affecting current positions?

I think 500$ margin bargains for e-minis will be history really soon.

#19     Aug 6, 2007
  10. notouch

notouch

You need to learn to relax old man. It's possible that an intraday spike could take out a swing position that would not have been liquidated if the old margin requirements were in place.

I agree with the poster saying it looks like they acted in haste. Why suddenly make the decision this Monday morning when the volatility has been with us for 2 weeks? A week's notice would have given IB clients the opportunity to deposit more money in their trading accounts if necessary. It says a lot for the mentality of those who run IB that they just drop this decision on their customers on a Monday morning.

#20     Aug 6, 2007