IB /Intraday Margin Gone!

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by trader123abc, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Here, let me help you out with IB's margin requirements. The overnight margin requirement is always the overnight margin requirement.

Please enlighten us with a list of futures brokers that do something different overnight.

#11     Jul 18, 2008
  2. The point is that the day margins will be the same as the overnight margins.

#12     Jul 18, 2008
  3. BCE

BCE

So far you'd be right. :) Of course they seem to have done it with the ^VIX so high which of course is its own indicator. We'll see if this has any legs which I kind of doubt. Too much weighing on the market and economy and too much unresolved. IMHO.

Do you remember how long it took IB to lift the restrictions and return to having lower intraday margins again the last time they did this?

#13     Jul 18, 2008
  4. abxs

abxs

any idea when they will revert back to normal?

#14     Aug 13, 2008
  5. On most futures intraday margin reverted to normal last week. You would have to ask IB about contracts such as CL.

#15     Aug 13, 2008
  6. nassau

nassau

we still get interuptions in the intramargins.
    what we have found is the account window does not update accurately and as a result the margin is off and on.

today was the first day we did not have any issues.

w

#16     Aug 13, 2008
  7. Daal

Daal

the top was pretty much last week. lets forget vix, IB will tell us when to cover in the next down move

#17     Aug 13, 2008
  8. Thanks for the real life margin info. I only sometimes use the reduced intraday margins. What the IB website says and what TWS does are 2 different things.

#18     Aug 13, 2008
  9. ids

ids

No, Web site information is exactly correct. Keep in mind that options are still on the full margin and if you have options for the same underlying, then intraday is off.

#19     Aug 13, 2008
  10. How can the IB web site information be EXACTLY correct when on the "Futures - Intraday Margin Requirements" page it still says in red letters "Due to the exceptional volatility of the financial markets we are temporarily suspending reduced intraday margin."

#20     Aug 13, 2008