IB Intermittent Disconnects/Reconnects

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Heidi, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi

I called Comcast and asked them to test the line. They did a ping test and found total packet loss. The modem test came in at @66.7 milliseconds. Comcast said that was very good.

Now I am totally clueless what to do. They suggested deleting temporary internet files which I did. They said if that didn't work there is something wrong with my computer. I know enough about computer hardware to be really dangerous.

I did the broadband speed test several times. Currently the download speed is 4393 Kb/s, upload speed 1427 Kb/s, latency 20 ms. There is a warning, "ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate."

When I talked to Comcast I told them what the broadband test results were. I was using the NY, NY server for the test since I'm in NJ. The line quality test I couldn't access not being a member and haven't figured out yet how one becomes a member.

All suggestions very much appreciated.

#11     Apr 24, 2008
  2. Heidi

Heidi

I did the Trace Route test and it is timing out after hop 12 and 14, with hop 11 being Chicago going west, actual timeouts being hop 13 and 15.

I called Comcast again and they are going to send out a tech on Sunday after I told them about the timeouts. They did a 100 packet test and it was timing out around 80. Don't know why I'm getting it after 12 hops.

My modem was replaced about a month ago but that was mentioned. I don't know if that would have an impact or not, it could be defective, who knows!

Thanks for the suggestions.

#12     Apr 24, 2008
  3. Bob111

Bob111

do you still having disconnections, if you connect your computer directly to modem(with no router in between)?

#13     Apr 24, 2008
  4. omcate

omcate

I had similar problems with Road Runner in 2006 and 2007: frequent disconnections, over 75% package loss in the ping test, tracert timed out before reaching the designated IP address, etc.

After tons of phone calls and a lot of testing, Time Warner Cable ( NY ) found that I had signal problem ( too high ) in 2006. It was fixed by adding one extra splitter. Then, I experienced similar problems in June 2007. It turned out that they forgot to give me a new cable modem !!! (The old one no longer worked due to network, hardware upgrade, etc.) The internet connections to IB have been rock solid since then.

#14     Apr 24, 2008