IB Intermittent Disconnects/Reconnects

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Heidi, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi

I’m wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I’m having. It started a couple weeks ago. I keep getting these intermittent disconnects and reconnects all day long with IB. It seems to be happening every 3-4 minutes. I called IB about a week ago and they had me restore my settings back a few days. That didn’t work.

I’m running Build 877.5 of the TWS. The java version I was using was 1.6.0_02; however, after the close today I called IB and spoke to Ray in API and he told me to uninstall that java version and downgrade to 1.5.0 update 15. I installed the 1.5.0 version but I’m still getting the disconnects/reconnects. It happens without the API application connected so that doesn’t seem to be the problem. I do get a message when the API is connected to my other program, “Rejected – message must contain field #52”. I’ve never seen that message before.

It makes it very difficult to use the API program when I constantly get data interruptions. If anyone has any advice I would be very appreciative. Maybe I should download the Build 877.5 again. I’m wondering if it somehow got corrupted. It worked fine 3 weeks ago, now it’s a mess. I’ve avoided upgrading to more recent builds once I find one that works with the API program since in the past I had problems with compatibility.

Ideas or advice? Thanks in advance.

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. Heidi

Heidi

I have a wired Linksys router that I bought in late 2000. Would it make sense to replace it with a more current model?

4. Bob111

Bob111

you can try..pick something @ best buy or staples. if it solve the problem-keep it, or order @ better price from some online store. if not-bring it back to store.
    check the settings and version on router. maybe some updated software avialiable.

5. DTK

DTK

I think I went through the same problem a few years ago.
    There might be no indications that it's your router but it might be the problem.
    I found out by plugging my modem directly into my computer and everything was fine so I eventually replaced my old linksys with what was on sale at BB (at the time just happened to be http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...outer&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1099392876098 ) and it worked great.

Hope things get fixed soon. Trading is enough of a challenge without the hardware and software issues.

6. Heidi

Heidi

Good idea to plug the modem directly into the computer to check for router failure, duh!

I just reset the modem and router to see if that might be the problem and I am getting disconnects/reconnects once every minute.

You are very right, I can't trade with this going on. I can't rely that the prices I'm seeing are correct.

I prefer a wired router to wireless for security reasons. I was reading on Amazon with D-Link was rated a bit better than Linksys by users. Have you found one router better than others?

In the meantime, think I'll call Comcast and ask them about this.

7. Bob111

Bob111

good idea, but before you that-once again-run some tests from links above, and see, if there is excessive packets loss.
    i use to have kind of similar problem due poor signal strength. give up on comcast,because no one can figure out, how to solve the problem..lots of splitters also can reduce signal strength.

8. rwk

rwk

If you are using cable modem, you will usually get brief interruptions. They come intermittently, often in bursts. I gave up on cable for trading.

9. chud

chud

I'm getting these disconnects also especially this morning.

10. Tums

Tums

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...hnical.php?ib_entity=llc#connectivity_quality

do a tracert

Trace Route
    The tracert command is used to isolate routing issues. This will show you all of the “hops” from your connection to our network. A timeout, indicated by “*” or time above 200, indicates a slow or dead hop and may be a problem. Over 15 hops can also be a problem.

#10     Apr 24, 2008