IB integration with QCharts - what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Cdntrader, May 16, 2002.

1. Yannis

Yannis

Cdntrader,

I appreciate the fact that you want feature ideas on this combination. However, the truth is that I shuddered when I heard it, having suffered from the data inadequequacy of both companies. But, I grant you, sometimes two negatives do produce a positive.

In that spirit, I would suggest that they just use QCharts' existing features and concentrate on measuring and improving quality of data-feed.

Now, if they also could offer us a simple user-interface to develop, backtest, optimize and implement our own strategies, that would be great. IB's current API features are far from user-friendly, and maybe the QChart people could help.

#11     May 16, 2002
  2. In the positive spirit of your reply, here is what I'd like to see in QChart: JavaScript (ala eSignal) indicators with ability to issue orders.

Same request for eSignal, obviously.

#12     May 16, 2002

3. I think it's whenever QCharts gets around to programming it. No set timeline.

#13     May 16, 2002
  4. Logic is music to my ears baby...LOL

#14     May 16, 2002
  5. DblArrow

DblArrow

I've always had good luck with Qcharts and very few problems with the feed.

I would like to see the ability to create tick charts. Backtesting capabilities would be nice also.

Otherwise just concentrate on creating a quality feed.

#15     May 16, 2002
  6. Cdntrader,

Where did you get this information?

I have done some preliminary research and it seems possible to write an IB order entry system that would integrate with RealTick, eSignal or whatever charting package you like. It would take a little probing (hacking) at the other app. The idea is to double click on a Level II in your RT, eSignal, QCharts and bring up an order entry box similar to the RT one.

One major hitch is that IB's API only allows for Best routing through the API. I have yet to get a clear answer from them (IB) as to why the API is restricted.

I have to agree with the other posts here. You could have the best charting application but if the data feed is not clean, then what good is it? There is a guy who wrote a protocol converter to convert TAL data to Esignal format. For those avid Qchart users that want more reliable data, it would make sense to use a Esignal or RT feed and convert them to Qcharts data format. From what I have read, IB data is not reliable either.

Mike

#16     May 16, 2002

7. The information was gleaned from IB's discussion board. The relevent post came from an IB rep.

#17     May 17, 2002
  8. stevet

stevet

I definetly dont want to see IB integrate the data feed with a charting company

Charting data is a whole different ball game - and if it was integrated - end users may ed up looking at a lot more symbols etc and that will use up band width - and screw up the data delivery

If their plan is to simply provide a charting service - using charting data - as opposed to globex data on the TWS - that would be fine

#18     May 17, 2002
  9. def

def Sponsor

with the API's any firm that wants to integrate into IB is welcome. As far as I am aware, there is no special deal between Qcharts and IB. If you want features from Qcharts integrating into IB, you'll have to contact Qcharts.

#19     May 17, 2002
  10. Def here is the relevent post. I have spoken to QCharts and they told me that IB integration is in their queue of things to do.

IB's Discussion Board » TWS Platform » Real time tick by tick charting

IB-Steve
    Unregistered guest
    Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:39 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoke with Real-tick and they are uninterested in partnering. Don't understand why they wouldn't want to offer their customers lower cost trades. Might have profitable deal with someone else.

QCharts has delayed the project and we are waiting to hear from them on when they will be ready.

Quotetracker has been very helpful, and when we have finished some authentication work on our end, we should be ready to go.

#20     May 17, 2002