IB improvements

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Babak, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Babak

Babak

Nicodermus, you can already do that by logging into your account through the web based TWS.

#221     Nov 16, 2001
  2. Babak :
    unfortunately, this is not quite true !

The only things you really can do from any PC with net-access are, to change some settings in your account or to initiate transfers. Trading through TWS / JTWS is simply not possible on any PC.

I.e. you can't access TWS or the browser based JTWS through a firewall, unless the admin allows you to connect to IB's secure destination ports by configuring the necessary translation protocols and adresses.( Which he will probably not do in order to follow the companie's internal security guidelines ).

I don't know, why they ( IB ) still stick to this ancient technology. There are better solutions out there to ensure secure connections.

In addition, it's highly unlikely, that you are allowed to download and install any kind of java-plugins on a company computer ( or any other foreign computer for that matter )

Furthermore, the PC has to fulfil certain mandatory minimum standards / settings in order to work properly with TWS / JTWS. Again something, which cannot be assured with just every PC used for internet access. It's also highly unlikely, that you are allowed to change internal settings ( i.e. simply the screen-resolution 1024 x 768 ) on a foreign PC.

Finally, you probably don't know in advance, whether a foreign PC is connected to the net via a proxy-server, and if so, how to configure the settings so that the JTWS works with the proxy.

See also IB's Q&A on these subjects :

"Many high speed Internet service providers have filters or firewalls in place that make it difficult to connect to IB. Please call you Internet service provider and ask them to open the ports displayed below.

The Interactive Brokers' Trader Workstation needs to establish two communication channels to IB's firewall. One of these channels uses TCP and the other uses UDP as the underlying communication protocol. Since the UDP source and destination ports and the TCP destination port is checked for at the firewall, it is the customer's responsibility to set up the necessary translation services (proxies) on his/her firewall as described here.

This data is user specific:

TCP & UDP Source Port: 1024 or higher (if your system needs a Source port)
    TCP & UDP Destination Port: 4000

Destination IP address: 208.245.107.3 for gw1.ibllc.com; 208.245.107.4 for gw2.ibllc.com; 208.245.107.5 for gw3.ibllc.com

If you are unsure which IP address you should be connecting to please contact the Help Desk."

and

To connect the Trader Workstation through a proxy server, you should ensure that your proxy server can be configured to assign the following TCP/UDP ports and IP source and destination addresses:

TCP & UDP Source Port: 1024 or higher (if your system requires a Source port)
    TCP & UDP Destination Port: 4000
    Destination IP address: 208.245.107.3

It is the customer's responsibility to set up the necessary translation services (proxies) on their firewall as described here. Interactive Brokers recommends that you contact your Network support staff for assistance in configuring your TCP/UDP ports."

Conclusion - access to your IB account for trading purposes is simply not possible from "any" PC connected to the net.

This is, imho, one of the few really important disadvantages of IB's tradingsystem. It was almost a year ago, when IB started with this Java-based workstation and these critical issues are still not resolved ( and probably will not anytime soon, since IB insists on it's version of a secure connection system ).

Therefore, I always need to maintain a 2nd. and 3rd. account with other Brokers who offer 24hrs access to my accounts through any PC connected to the web ( these brokers use also secure connections ;can't really understand, what's IB's problem here ).

regards

#222     Nov 16, 2001
  3. Hi All.

I am thinking of moving from a prop firm to a retail firm to trade options and have been investigating different DAT firms. IB seems to be a decent firm which offers no-frills,reasonably stable platform. One of the questions I can't find an answer to in these boards is about taxes.

At the end of any trading year, I need to show the IRS a detailed buy and sell list of ALL my trades. When I had a retail account with Spear Leeds, I had to pay for the printout-it came in a Manila envelope about half a foot thick, and even though I had to pay for it it was the best $100 I've ever spent since it saved me a lot of time. Does IB provide some sort of printout? THANKS for your help.

#223     Nov 18, 2001
  4. aldrums

aldrums

I apologize if this has been posted before but it would be nice if IB could put the day's High and Low into TWS. This seems so basic, and with all the features they've added lately, I do not understand why the High and Low are not included.

#224     Nov 18, 2001
  5. def

def Sponsor

gat,
    for taxes, forms are sent. others can tell you the specifics. if you're doing it full time what you may want to do is either import your info into quicken each day or week or use one of the tax programs available via the net. I haven't used it but based upon posts on this site it sounds like http://www.armencomp.com/tradelog/ does a very good job.

as for market high/low - you can recommend that to mgmt. the flip side may be that others do not want additional columns added to the screen. I'll add it to the list of suggestions that i have been trying to maintain which I forward from time to time.

#225     Nov 18, 2001
  6. Is there a way to come back to the earlier version or to keep an earlier version in addition to the most recent, the previous download file won't let me do it. I don't like too much the new icons, I am getting used to it but it's very confusing at first. As far as I am concerned I don't want upgrades every other week ! I spent the first hour of my day getting used to these weird icons and customizing the layout (because of course your settings are not saved when you upgrade). It's just a hassle to have to upgrade so often especially when important things like DOM are not improved upon.

#226     Nov 19, 2001
  7. perhaps an option to turn off that whole icon toolbar. With "T" and "C" now on order line the whole toolbar seem unnecessary.

#227     Nov 19, 2001
  8. Would be nice to have an easier way of doing these, and to be able to specify the total credit/debit for all the legs.

BTW, I tried to use Order->Transmit Page for the first time recently, and something weird happened. I set up the 2 order lines for a strangle, clicked, and... the call order got filled, the put order was rejected with
    AWT-EventQueue-0: Order rejected - Pacing Violation

Should I have done it some other way?

#228     Nov 19, 2001
  9. OK after checking the manual I still can't view the arbitrage meter (arb meter is checked )and the level 2 , I read somewhere you can set alarms how? these functions don't show when I right click on a line ? I never used those but I 'd like to be able to. As for the new icons, design could be better and I don't need the graphs and news ( who's using these features anyway?)I don't use the T column in order line as I prepare order in advance and dont want to transmit an order inadvertently.

#229     Nov 19, 2001
  10. dottom

dottom

So IB/Globex is down, now what? It went down at 1:13pm EST today, right as my sell stop was hit. IB says I'm net long, but I should be net short, but I'm not 100% sure. I call the help desk and have been on hold 30 minutes, there is a recorded message that says Globex is down.

I could try and offset with another brokerage account but am not sure if I'm net long or shot. IB has a "backup" phone system where you can close out your orders for $30 charge, but I'm not certain it will work if IB's interface to Globex is down.

Does this happen often? (only been with IB for 2 weeks)

#230     Nov 19, 2001