IB Improvements (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by mjt, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocinero2

cocinero2

Please ask IB to make the P&L to mean the average profit or loss per share for the position regardless of entry date so that P&L is meaningful. The present P&L is meaningless to me and does not help me manage or track or monitor a position after I have held that position for more than 2 days. Also why does IB refuse to show or display the position on the pending page when they display position on every other page? Doesnt IB realize that if they refuse to display the position on the pending page that a trader could delete his stop orders for a position because he forgot he had a position in a stock??? DAn Cook

#61     Jan 2, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

kicking,
    I can't really answer that question. Older versions tend to work for many months as the core functionality is behind the scenes on the IB servers. You'll just miss out on the upgrades - for things like the excel integration or basket trading which are continually being enhanced, it would be important to upgrade quickly. Otherwise, you can lag behind if you desire.

Dan,
    You can't please everyone. I personally like the current implemenation which may be along the lines of what you are looking for, it was released on the 27th of Dec. The description is below.

at the end of the day IMO, if you are entering or exiting your positions based upon whether or not you are showing a profit you are setting yourself up to let your losers run and cutting your profits as opposed to the other way around.

P & L calculation labels have been changed
    The P & L calculation options have been renamed to clarify their use. The calculation formerly called "daily" has been changed to "New Position P&L," and the calculation called "cumulative" has been changed to "Daily P&L." The P&L calculations work as follows:

New Position P&L is calculated for transactions you execute today using the formula:

(current price) - (purchase price) x (number of outstanding shares/contracts purchased today)

Daily P&L is calculated for all positions you currently hold regardless of the transaction date, and is calculated using the "New Position" formula above and the "previous day" formula (below):

(current price) - (previous day's closing price) x (total number of outstanding shares/contracts)

P&L reflects only unrealized gains or losses.

To modify P&L display for a Page layout, select P&L in the Layout editor and click Customize. In the P&L calculation area, select either New Position

As for the pending orders comments. Send a request to IBMGT, the link is on the website. In the meantime, why not keep the position summary window open all the time. If you are having trouble keeping track of your orders, this would help.

#62     Jan 2, 2002
  3. BigDipper

BigDipper

xxxx

#63     Jan 2, 2002
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

Hi Def,
    Thank you for responding to my concerns and filling me in on the TWS window resizing. I have not used the online version since the stand alone TWS version came out and I did not think about testing the online version prior to down loading new TWS revisions.

Catoosa

#64     Jan 2, 2002
  5. jwcrim

jwcrim

def

You quoted the IB Release Notes accurately but, testing the P/L's with edemo, I'm getting P/L's that equal the sum of both realized and unrealized gains (or losses). It occurs for both the "Daily" and "New Position" P/L's. I like it that way but it differs from the Release Notes formulas. Is this discrepancy just true for edemo?

#65     Jan 2, 2002
  6. It's not an improvement by IB, but if any IB user is having trouble record keeping, check out this site

http://www.ingenit.com/iblog/

You can download an Excel spreadsheet that will allow you to import and match your trades from the monthly trade summary for record keeping purposes.

It has certainly made an improvement in my life as an IB customer.

#66     Jan 2, 2002
  7. def

def Sponsor

jwcrim,
    I'll have to pass your info along to the programmers who can test. My guess is that it is just an issue with the demo. After passing your question along, i'm sure it will be tested and if incorrect fixed.

#67     Jan 2, 2002
  8. Hey def,

I had a situation a few weeks ago where I needed to request a bust on a trade in pre-market. I usually find IB chat to be the best way to get help quickly. Unfortunately, the IB representative chatting with me told me that they could not bust trades over chat and that I would have to call the Switzerland number. I did so, but it was slightly annoying that I was forced to call overseas. Is it true that busts cannot be handled via chat? Anyway, I find chat to be very helpful and it is my first option compared to telephone support.

Carl

#68     Jan 6, 2002
  9. jsmith

jsmith

dufferdon,

I can't get the iblog xls sheet to work for me.
    I clear the default first sheet.
    I open my e-mail and copy the trades start with
    Trade Date and stop before the Totals.
    I doubleclick cell A1, and paste into the cell.
    Then I click Import New.

The only thing that happens is that row 1 is filled.
    None of my trades appear. Is there something I
    am missing? Am I copying the wrong thing?

Thanks,
    JS

#69     Jan 6, 2002
  10. agent99

agent99

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Just what I wanted! Can't wait to try it!

From the TWS Release notes page re: the 1/7/02 Build:

Use Rapid Order Entry to transmit an order without a market data line
    Use the Rapid Order Entry panel to transmit an order without creating or using a market data line on a trading page.

By default, the Rapid Order Entry panel is visible at the top of each trading page and has "speed tab" enabled. Speed tab lets you tab through critical fields to enter the symbol, quantity and limit price, and then press Enter on the Buy or Sell buttons to transmit the order. The Clear button deletes data from all fields.

You can customize the panel using the page Layout Manager, which you access from the Settings menu. Click the Rapid Order Entry tab and use checkboxes to enable/disable functionality. Use fields to enter a default order destination, a default order size, and select the default order type.

Use the active trading page to manage the transmitted order. Note that submitting an order using Rapid Order Entry with Market Data enabled does not create a permanent market data line on your TWS page.

#70     Jan 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.