IB HSI futures position data was incorrect- now i'm screwed. any recourse?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by gangof4, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums

The can't even trade and eat lunch at the same time, you think they can trade in their sleep?

#21     Mar 6, 2008
  2. According page 2 of this journal: Trading the HSI the HSI will reopen at 8:45pm ET ... that's about 5 hours from now, so think about what you're going to do when that happens.

Edit: Kiwi trader is another guy around here who is familiar with the indice and may be able to help you if you send him a PM.

GL

#22     Mar 6, 2008
  3. strude

strude

Hope it all works out , good luck

#23     Mar 6, 2008
  4. I'm starting to think that way. Little of that ES-like bot-driven chop. This is a contract that really moves.

HSI is the MMA of futures--if you don't know what you're doing, you can really get hurt.

I have been studying the HSI every night for the past year and have been trading demo, to get a feel for how it trades. I am not quite ready to put real money on the line, but I expect to within a month (after the time change next week).

I'd like to hear your views of the Hang Seng; I'd be happy to reciprocate.

#24     Mar 6, 2008
  5. gangof4

gangof4

i appreciate what you're saying, but i do not give IB a pass on this. there was clearly something wrong with their info- none of my orders even show an ID # during that period.

this is going to cost me minimum $20,000.

btw, they are still having problems with the HK server. i had a stop order take 90 seconds to execute today trading the YM (and NO!!!!!! it wasn't during a server reset!!!!!!).

#25     Mar 6, 2008
  6. Bad luck Go4. Sorry to hear.

MB, I stopped trading HSI late last year when it kept jumping off my ZLT dom. Too many big gaps for my comfort.

Its likely to gap down hard today unless Nikkei bounces up for some reason ... probably open below 23000 with the US lead.

#26     Mar 6, 2008
  7. maxni

maxni

Sorry about your loss.

Audit trail?

#27     Mar 6, 2008
  8. def

def Sponsor

There was a lot of action in the final seconds yesterday and it's possible we got a late confirm from the exchange clearing database. HHI for instance dropped 20 points over the last 2-3 seconds.

I'll check our audit logs to see if I can find anything but I suspect the delay was from the exchange handling a surge in orders/fills.

#28     Mar 6, 2008
  9. TGM

TGM

This has much more to do with the exchange than it does IB. IB has some of the better Asian networks in the business. They are used by Timberhill (and set up byTimberhill). Timberhills lifeblood is having secure feeds/connections and exchanges.

But the problem lies with the exchange in this case. I am willing to bet on it. If it makes you feel any better, Hong Kong is a lot better than they used to be. Asian exchanges still have a lot of work to do.

I would not fool with the Hang Seng ---within the last 5-10 minutes of the close. Too many damn orders flooding in and their software cannot handle it. Switching brokers will not solve the problem in this case.

Just my 2 cents. When trading with IB in Hong Kong---put their HK desk on speed dial and track your positions in the final last half hour carefully.

IMO, IB's booktrader is easy to screw up as well. Try a different front end----like Zerolinetrader or one of the others.

#29     Mar 6, 2008
  10. Its easy for me to say this, but why didnt you try to hedge?

You could have used Nikkei Futures as a 'better than nothing' hedge. NKD fell about 500 pts between the Europe Open and the US close

#30     Mar 6, 2008