IB Hong Kong server

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by blueberrycake, Sep 22, 2004.

1. wizardx

wizardx

Does IB have a dedicated line connecting their U.S., HK, and Europe servers together?

#31     Jul 16, 2005
  2. joesan

joesan

I tried to "tracert gw1.ibllc.com.hk " from Dos today, always resulted as follows:

==================================================

C:\Documents and Settings\user>tracert gw1.ibllc.com.hk

Tracing route to gw1.ibllc.com.hk [202.1.7.3]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * *
    ===============================================

I am pinging from Shanghai, China, using FTTB, ADSL, and ISDN (three broadband connections) provided by China Telecom, the largest telecommunication company and ISP in China. It is really a shame to find out that the ISP throw so many endusers into limited brandwidth. When you connect to domestic sites , all these three methods of connection work well , if it even works when you connect to most of the overseas sites, but when you try to run a software like TWS, the softspots show up. As for the reason why from July , the conditions of connection with TWS servers deterioated, I think it may be that Chinese schools and universities started summer holiday from early July, ( till end of August). A sudden surge of student internet users push the connectivity condition here further away from the critical point where TWS can normally operate.

I guess in this case, maybe I should try a smaller ISP, with less endusers and thus maybe better connectivity. So I tried several other ISP and fortunately I found two connection methods provided by one ISP work reasonablly well. ( Ping to IB HK servers takes 150-180ms for a modem dial-up connection , and if it is pinged in a wireless mode, it takes about 400-500ms) I think I should test the connection in real trading next week. Hope this time the things work out fine.

thanks to Kiwi_trader and Mokwit and FX-trader. Hey guys, HSI is an interesting stuff to trade, isn't it ?

#32     Jul 16, 2005
  3. joesan

joesan

One further question : can the connection with IB server be improved by a proxy method. Is there some proxy software to be recommended ?

#33     Jul 16, 2005
  4. No. By definition a caching proxy of some type cannot be useful for real time data.

#34     Jul 16, 2005
  5. joesan

joesan

Thanks. I tried another ISP yesterday, it looked fine. ( except for a short period of market data outdage due to IB's testing )

#35     Jul 18, 2005
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Yeah, pretty disgusting cutting off data for "testing" right in the middle of the trading day. Trading can be hard enough without this kind of stupidity.

#36     Jul 18, 2005