IB has lots of problems with Option Trading

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by alexandert, May 20, 2005.

1. MTE

MTE

It seems that there's an obvious solution to your problem - open an account with OptionsXpress.

#11     May 23, 2005
  2. d9d

d9d

I was talking about options. Not sure of their performance on stock; as 99% of my stock trades are in PM stocks on a longer timeframe....where I have time to wait for a good fill on limit orders.

thanks though...

#12     May 23, 2005
  3. feisty70

feisty70

I do my options trading at RF Lafferty that can service my full service and online accounts. I have found a reputable 60 year old firm that specializes in stocks and options. The aren't the cheapest, but the fills I get are great. You can pay $8.00/trade and get a lousy fill and wind up paying much more than if you paid $50/trade and get a great fill. As a customer I have access to two inhouse independent research reports on stocks, & options. They even have an Mutual fund analysis tool that has steered me towards ETF's with an option play. (Long Term= Better returns with lower expense ratio's).
    Anyway I deal with a guy over there named Scott Clarke. But I have found everyone to be helpful.
    Hope this helps.

#13     May 26, 2005
  4. Funny guy! You didn't even try to hide your shilling at all.

1st post on here, good job man.

#14     May 26, 2005
  5. ktm

ktm

You need to switch from the CBOE to the CME, from SPX to SP(ES). Same prices, same underlying, but only half the margin. Equity index options are subject to reg-t, futures options are subject to SPAN, thus only one side is charged. IB futures options spreads are fair right now, sometimes I get amazing fills at prices I could never leg with, other times they are mediocre.

That is more a statement about Globex and not IB.

You need to switch products.

#15     May 26, 2005
  6. ktm I heard currency options are coming up soon, if not already. Are they reasonably liquid/tight? Thanks

#16     May 26, 2005
  7. just21

just21

Currency options seem to be liquid in the pit but not on the screen.

The main problem IB have with option trading is that some people are having problems with the software redrawing the screen. This is a problem in 845.5 and 837.4 but not the browser based 847 beta. 847 though locks up when you try and get market data for a spread order.

#17     May 26, 2005
  8. Pete - IB

Pete - IB Interactive Brokers

Can you please tell me the exact steps to take to get TWS to lock up while making a spread order so I can reproduce the problem? Thanks.

#18     May 26, 2005
  9. ktm

ktm

I have never dealt in currency options. Sorry.

#19     May 26, 2005
  10. ktm

Thanks for the advice:

"You need to switch from the CBOE to the CME, from SPX to SP(ES). Same prices, same underlying, but only half the margin. Equity index options are subject to reg-t, futures options are subject to SPAN, thus only one side is charged. IB futures options spreads are fair right now, sometimes I get amazing fills at prices I could never leg with, other times they are mediocre.

That is more a statement about Globex and not IB.

You need to switch products."

There is very little information on future options on IB site. Are spreads on ES options traded natively on CME? In other words if you put a limit order do you se a price change reflected on the data feed? That would be great if there is no middlemen or computer program waiting for bid/ask on IB site. Also, are they having the same European stile expiration? How liquid they are?

#20     May 27, 2005