IB Front - Ends?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by matt5555, Jul 28, 2003.

1. matt5555

matt5555

This is my first post, so please be easy :)

I currently use myTrack, I have been with them for a few years. I haven't made many trades recently, and I have been working steadily.

I am interested in trading derivatives, specifically equity options and futures (E-minis).

I am thinking of using $5,000 capital that if I lost, would not affect me at all.

I would like to open an account and use IB because they are the cheapeast and seem to have high praise here.

The only thing is I can not stand that Java TWS. It seems too complicated, would take too much time and I would be too slow with it.

What are good front-ends that people use with IB?

Thanks, Matt
    :cool:

2. The web-based TWS might be a bit slow, but the stand-alone is pretty good. Actually...I've used both, and didn't experience any issues.

I guess you could use QuoteTracker with IB, but I find TWS easier to use. Just my $.02

-FastTrader :)

3. TWS stand alone is excellent. Better than J Trader in my opinion.

4. Take the time to get used to TWS with the demo mode, and you won't think the way you do now. Get it set up just the way you want, set up some hotkeys, etc. It is worth it.

5. standalone TWS crashed on me once in almost 2 years...it is fast and oh so stable...and a joy to trade with...the enhancements have been GREAT.

i use it under win2k pro.

6. matt5555

matt5555

Thanks. I just downloaded the standalone version, and I tired to logon using "edemo, edemo" but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, it appears to be a Java app as well, and I tend to be a little bit biased against them just becuase I personally don't like the feel.

I could get used to it I suppose, seems many here did.

Are there any 3rd party front-ends though that anyone recommends?

THanks

7. paradox

paradox

Here's a list of 3rd party front ends that I have tried at one or another. Just do a search for them:

bracket trader
    ninja trader
    futures trader
    button trader

None of them are free anymore, except maybe for bracket trader.
    My favorites are ninja trader and the new kid on the block, button trader.

8. Btw, would IB charge an additional API fee when using these 3-rd party front-ends?

-FastTrader :)

9. JT47319

JT47319

i think ninja charges a fee

10. TurboCAC

TurboCAC

Try to use "edemo" as login and "demouser" as password.
    It should work better ...

TurboCAC.

#10     Jul 28, 2003