IB Front Ends? ButtonTrader RIP.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by goslow, Aug 7, 2018.

1. goslow

goslow

What trade-management front ends do people use and recommend for IB?

ButtonTrader just announced cessation of operation, due to GDPR-mandated encryption of log files. (Sniff)

MoreLeverage likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'd re-visit TWS -- they have polished old tools, created new ones out of whole cloth, and in the meantime, you can always customize your own add-in:), via making a QuoteMonitor page purely for data-scraping purposes (into your own set-up). [FILE/down-arrow/Import-Export/Export_Page_Content]

The utility of a lot of this would depend on what you're trading: the underlying, trade frequency, hold period, etc.

Thoughts? If you're glued to (DOM) ladder-based, maybe a re-visit to ye ol' BookTrader? 'Way back when,' I chose BookTrader over ButtonTrader, but it was a close call, for sure. But I could configure BookTrader to really fly........

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. destriero

destriero

That sucks. I had a windows machine solely for excel and BT. BT support was awesome. I had a contract limit problem back in 2003(?) and Hoi had it patched in a day.

4. goslow

goslow

Thanks. The search is on for a visual tool that is ladder-based, that allows positions to be merged/split, and that ensures one-kills-all stops are in place when opening an order.

5. goslow

goslow

Thanks.

6. southall

southall

What exactly is the issue?

7. goslow

goslow

BT no longer works after IB encrypted the log files, and negotiations for a workaround collapsed. To work around the encryption was not practical. The product was disabled on short notice, unfortunately.

The first questions are:
    • What is the best DOM for IB?
    • What is the best DOM irrespective of broker?
    Focus is on equity indices only, mostly intraday. "Best" means a combination of UI intuitiveness, features, and affordability.

Another question is this: is the impact of log-encryption known for trading front ends built into charting programs?

8. traderob

traderob

I used BT for years, my review from 2005 is on Et somewhere.
    it was a class act.

9. wpfund

wpfund

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  10. Daal

Daal

I use Dastrader, I'm happy with it

#10     Aug 8, 2018