[IB] Freezing your account for their benefit

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by MidKnight, Sep 14, 2007.

1. JackR

JackR

MidKnight:

How did you get the mgmt contact details?

Jack

#31     Sep 14, 2007
  2. Via PM from a poster here. They offered it as maybe being of use to my situation. They were right!

Best regards,
    MK

#32     Sep 14, 2007
  3. When something of this importance is not handed within days at the most, you should be asking to speak to a manager as a matter of course.

How did you let this linger for weeks?

User error?

#33     Sep 14, 2007
  4. Fuck 777 .... I thought I was aggressive.

If lots of people promise to do something and you don't know the management contacts ... well, most would keep going until they reached a high level of frustration. Unless they'd heard a story like this one and realised they'd better escalate fast or experience the same pain.

I suspect that I have more IB contacts than most here with the improvements I've initiated but I still probably don't have the ones MK ended up with.

#34     Sep 14, 2007
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

I've read more than one thread about IB being a nightmare if you screw up your wire instructions. I always quadruple check anything dealing with wires with IB now. Otherwise, it appears your request falls through their automated processes and lands in a black hole. Obviously IB could do better. However, knowing that they aren't up to snuff in this department makes me extra cautious when submitting banking info. I haven't had any problems.

#35     Sep 14, 2007
  6. Bell

Bell

because of just like this reason the instruction has Paragraph 4: "When your ticket is entered go to the chat with its # and ask someone to resolve it."
    And always do screen-shots.

#36     Sep 15, 2007
  7. Benign

Benign

That is a very horrible story in my opinion. How come IB held your money for so long? It makes me think IB is a wrong choice. Does IB implement this "security" so as to discourage you from withdrawing money?

#37     Sep 16, 2007
  8. jsmith

jsmith

I appreciate the extra security knowing my money is safe.
    I've closed two accounts with IB and it was simple.

I wired the entire account balance to myself in one day and IB will automatically close your account after a few weeks if the balance is 0.

#38     Sep 16, 2007
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

I have found that creating new ACH instructions at IB, as compared to new wire instructions, does not flag your account for review at all. I know that I was called personally after a new write instruction was submitted but didn't hear a peep when I set up new ACH instructions.

And it turns out my bank credits the ACH transfer as quickly as a wire anyway. Just a thought.

#39     Sep 16, 2007
  10. rayl

rayl

There must be a more complex fraud algorithm in play as I had to call to confirm a new ACH. (One beef: There was nothing telling me this was the case -- the new ACH instruction, once the trial transactions were confirmed, just went poof.)

And ACH is no substitute for same day funds.

#40     Sep 16, 2007