IB Forcing Upgrade to new TWS 851

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Sep 9, 2005.

Should IB Force everyone to Upgrade

1. Yes, no worries, pass me another joint man

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Whats an upgrade?

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. No, time for another broker, i'll sue, the bloody weekend is ruined! Damn them

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Pete - IB

Pete - IB Interactive Brokers

Just make sure to backup your settings directory before upgrading. For stand-alone users, the settings directory is a subdirectory of c:\jts and has a jumbled name such as "dhingdg." To verify the name of your settings directory: run TWS, select a ticker row, and press ctrl-alt-U; a message box will appear specifying the full path of the directory.

#21     Sep 12, 2005
  2. Pete - IB

If you select "File/Manage Workspaces" from the main menu, you should see a workspace listed called "pre-upgrade." If you select it and click "Apply Workspace," it should restore things to the way they looked before the upgrade. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

#22     Sep 12, 2005
  3. We do not have a problem with a "forced upgrade" as long as it is an exception to resolve a serious (read: fundamental data communication) problem and does not happen more than once every 3 ~ 5 years.

Anything more often than that and we start to wonder about the stability of their software design. (read: Is the design crappy? / Are their programmers involved in "spaghetti coding" and are they giving design lip-service?)

We are happy with 851, stability seems to have improved. Now please leave it (the data communication design) alone and do not tinker with it!

Thank you.
    Maria

#23     Sep 12, 2005
  4. Catoosa

Catoosa

There is no such option to select under "File/Manage workspace" in TWS 851. I hope you have a method.

#24     Sep 12, 2005
  5. lol. I'll bet the programmers would be happy to produce new code only once every 3-5 years.

Sometimes I wonder.

#25     Sep 13, 2005
  6. Catoosa:

There IS such option. Merely select "File", then in the drop down select "Manage Workspaces". A box will open in which you may select one of three choices: select "pre-upgrade.wsp".

Always good to be observant.

OldTrader

#26     Sep 13, 2005
  7. I hope you are more observant in your trading than in what you are showing here. I am referrring to the data communication part, not to TWS as a whole.

:cool:

#27     Sep 13, 2005
  8. OldTrader

are you looking at an old version?

This is what I see with TWS 851 standalone

:confused:

#28     Sep 13, 2005
  9. Pete - IB

Please zip up and send me the settings directory from before you upgraded (this is the subdirectory of c:\jts with the jumbled name) so we can diagnose the problem you encountered while upgrading. Thanks.

#29     Sep 13, 2005
  10. Catoosa

Catoosa

OldTrader, after upgrading to 851, I click File>Manage Workspace, and get the same box as you show in your attachment; However, there is no "pre-upgrade workspace" as a possible choice. All I see is "default Workspace".

#30     Sep 13, 2005