IB Forcing Upgrade to new TWS 851

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kiwi_trader, Sep 9, 2005.

Should IB Force everyone to Upgrade

1. Yes, no worries, pass me another joint man

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Whats an upgrade?

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. No, time for another broker, i'll sue, the bloody weekend is ruined! Damn them

14 vote(s)
    20.3%

1. did u ck the "pre upgrade" workspace?

#11     Sep 12, 2005
  2. just21

just21

It has been stable since i had a few initial problems.

#12     Sep 12, 2005
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

No. Where do I find this option? I did not see this option or instructions for this option. I cloned my hard drive prior to doing the upgrade; So, I can go back and do the upgrade again.

#13     Sep 12, 2005
  4. dont

dont

Just wondering if there is something sinister in this.

A few years ago a german program (JAP) used for anonymous surfing on the NET forced users to all upgrade. It turned out that the German goverment had forced them to add a backdoor to the program, to allow the authorities to snoop.
    Off course it would not work if everybody did not upgrade to the new system.

What guanrentee to we have that IB is not adding some malicious code to the upgrade, because the USA Fascist act (read Patriot act) requires them to snoop on their customers in case one of them is Osama Bin Laden?

#14     Sep 12, 2005
  5. That's simple - they don't need to have you upgrade to do that. TWS is not a standalone application. It only works if connected to IB servers - EVERYTHING you do in TWS goes through their server. Thats sort of the point. They already know everything you are doing in TWS.

#15     Sep 12, 2005
  6. go to FILE>Manage Workspaces

#16     Sep 12, 2005
  7. nassau

nassau

I guess that depends on your version of marginal hassle. If upgrades only are a little time consuming and can prove via tests that it is better for all not just IB then you can debate the issue.

But if they ugrades continually cause you financial hardship, not being able to exit, freezings, lost of data etc. to leave you the only option of trying to trade (pardon me exit your existing positions as IB will not allow you to place a working order) via phone without excepting any accountability or responsibility for their software then one should have the choice of upgrading not being placed in a position of - mandatory.

Personally I do not want nor wish to trade on a beta version of any broker, especially if I am the only one held accountable. Accountable being always financially responsible. Upgrades should be tested and software issues fixed prior which has not been the case in many of the upgrades.
    IB has many good qualities, but their constant upgrades and support when the upgrades have issues is not one of them.

w

#17     Sep 12, 2005
  8. I'm using 831.9 and would like to upgrade with the least amount of fanfare possible.

How can I do this without losing my settings? I have custom colors, fonts, column widths & other settings and do not wish to start from scratch.

#18     Sep 12, 2005
  9. dont

dont

I accept you have a point, but it may be that they still require something on your side to check. Hence the blanket up grade.

I am just paranoid. Cosidering the crap I am having with the TWS today I hope the upgrade is better

#19     Sep 12, 2005
  10. dont, if you consider the Patriot Act, the Fascist Act, your problems are well beyond anything IB can do for you or to you.

Good luck.

#20     Sep 12, 2005