IB for futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by DAEtrader, Mar 14, 2001.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

kenstl,

this is a dumb question, but i've never traded futures - can one make the spread or even scalp the e minis and expect to get filled? or do you have to pay the spread for each transaction?

Depends how bad you want in/out. Usually, I can buy the bid/sell the ask if I'm patient. However, just as with stocks, there will be times when your bid just sits there and you see a couple of ticks at your price and then up it goes without you (and vice versa). I think the principles are the same. If you bid and get hit fast, you can usually expect the price to go against you in the immediate future...just as with stocks. However, trying to trade just for the spread is a loser's game in the futures...at least that's been my experience. Its just too volatile.

also, what is the volume like on the nas100 and s&p500 minis from 16:45 until 9:30? is it too thin to be tradeable? is there any movement after hours or does it just stay in a tight range until the morning? if you use IB, are the orders entered as they would be during normal market hours?

Usually its fairly light overnight. That can change if major news comes out. I have never traded the overnight session as the risks still seem too great. Sometimes only 1 contract will trade over several minutes, other times its heavier. If you're new to futures, stick with the day session in the beginning. There just isn't enough activity yet IMO. Since I haven't traded overnight I can't speak to how IB works for those orders.

Kirk

#31     Oct 26, 2001
  2. def

def Sponsor

in night trading the markets are thinner, the spreads wider but there is a constant market and you can get filled. when europe opens the markets get tighter and liquidity improves. you also get some more volatility in the globex markets at that time as they tend to move a little bit with the euro markets. i also think liquidity has improved a bit in those products as there are a number of US markets that now trade in europe in which the ES and NQ's are decent hedges.

as for IB, order entry is the same on all products.

#32     Oct 26, 2001
  3. Trader01

Trader01

I have an IB stock account. Although, I don't have a lot of interest in futures trading, I would like to see real time T Bond futures quotes to help assess what direction the stock market may take.

Also, it would be helpful to see a crude oil futures quote in deciding whether to go long or short an oil stock.

I have been unsuccessful in getting a futures quote on my IB TWS stock account platform.

Question 1: Can you get a futures quote on your IB TWS stock account without opening a futures account?

Question 2 : Once your futures account has been opened, does it take another download besides TWS, or do you use TWS and IB just "enables" you to get futures quotes?

#33     Jan 20, 2002