IB for futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by DAEtrader, Mar 14, 2001.

1. def

def Sponsor

gt,
    the difference in speed between the ES and the HSI is due to the systems in place by the exchanges. I'm not sure about Globex but I heard a long time ago that they have a delay on every order entered electronically. There is no such delay at the HKFE (and Eurex or Liffe) and thus orders are rec'd/confirmed in a matter of milliseconds.

ct,
    the HSI future does anywhere from 15-25 thousand contracts a day. Options, 2-5K. lately it's been a little bit busier.

#21     Mar 22, 2001
  2. Any move to get large SP and ND contracts thru IB TWS?

Thanks

#22     Apr 4, 2001
  3. def

def Sponsor

The large contracts only trade on Globex after hours. The decision has been made not to offer non-electronic trades. Many factors are involved but mostly slippage and problems with filling small orders are the reason. When they are available on an electronic exchange during their prime trading hours, I assume they will be added to the product list.

#23     Apr 4, 2001
  4. Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the case but wanted to be sure. Here's hoping the big contracts go electronic soon. Those pits are gonna go down struggling I guess.

#24     Apr 5, 2001
  5. def

def Sponsor

cdn: agree. time is on your side. it will happen or some other exchange will get wise and launch a competing product. Look what happened to the Bund future on Liffe. They got complacent. The hundred thousand+ contracts that traded there quickly migrated to Eurex when they offered it on their electronic system.

gt: fyi, multi-currency accounts are in the works.

#25     Apr 5, 2001
  6. What data/software are you using to get HK futures?

#26     May 3, 2001
  7. def

def Sponsor

IB Group owns the seat/access right to the HKFE and routes directly to it via it's own software. The price feed is from the exchange. The data feed and access to the exchange are very fast. I've spoken to a number of people who access the HKFE from the states and they have been impressed with the speed.

#27     May 3, 2001
  8. trinfo

trinfo

When attempting to use the futures TWS demo, I am unable to get a (simulated) order execution. The following error message appears:

Rejected - YOUR ORDER EXCEEDS THE NET CONTRACT LIMIT IT IS BEING CANCELLED

This is for one contract, either direction, multiple futures products. No open positions are shown in the account window.

Ideas anyone?

#28     Jun 5, 2001
  9. def

def Sponsor

the demo system contract limits were inadvertantly set to zero. It will be fixed by tomorrow.

#29     Jun 5, 2001
  10. kenstl

kenstl

this is a dumb question, but i've never traded futures - can one make the spread or even scalp the e minis and expect to get filled? or do you have to pay the spread for each transaction?

also, what is the volume like on the nas100 and s&p500 minis from 16:45 until 9:30? is it too thin to be tradeable? is there any movement after hours or does it just stay in a tight range until the morning? if you use IB, are the orders entered as they would be during normal market hours?

thanks alot,
    ken

#30     Oct 26, 2001