IB FIX CTCI interface experience

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by luo8, Jul 27, 2019.

1. qlai

qlai

Just curious what latency you are targeting? I would be surprised if IB is the right choice no matter what API you use, but maybe depends on account size.

#11     Jul 27, 2019
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I can not add anything to the discussion as I do not use IB, but I do have a question based on limited and not necessarily up-to-date knowledge and perception of IB...

It's my understanding the IB data feed provides "snapshot" quotes. Does the IB API being discussed provide real-time tick-by-tick data?? If not, I do not see how IB could be a valid broker choice for anything even resembling HFT.

Thank you.

#12     Jul 27, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  3. luo8

luo8

Hi qlai,
    definitely I will not get the same results as institutional traders, but I would like to be close as is possible :)
    Target is below 1ms, aprox. 500 µs
    Do you trade HFT? Do you use IB?

Luo

#13     Jul 27, 2019
  4. qlai

qlai

No, cannot afford the fixed costs :)
    Yes, but as retail manual trader. I do use the API, and I don't believe it is a problem. The problem will be on IB order handling side. I don't think they want piker HFT wannabe business, imho. Maybe if you have a large account they will try to accommodate you.
    You better be very sure your strategy works prior to making all these investments.

#14     Jul 27, 2019
  5. luo8

luo8

Hi,

really good question.

I'm not sure, but from my point of view the snapshot market datas should not be for all choices. I understand that if I will choose realtime datas for particular exchange I will get realtime datas not snapshot datas.
    The question is in which period is real time datas provided.
    Here I see the hole for successful hft trading... Therefore I was asked if anybody of you using FIX CTCI solution, what is the latency, experience with this solution in IB..

Luo

#15     Jul 27, 2019
  6. luo8

luo8

I trust my strategy, its working well, the problem what I have is in the entry time of order execution.

The HFT machines owned Inst. traders are far away from my current entry time of order execution.

Some of the trading strategies are not so critical in time execution, my strategy is simple but the execution time is critical.

#16     Jul 27, 2019
  7. Even IB Fix does not offer real time data but only snapshots. Hence going the IB route does not make sense for you. I do use IB Fix.

#17     Jul 27, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  8. traider

traider

can you share which aws server region are you running for trading with IB
    1) futures
    2) stocks
    3) forex
    based on my research each requires a different region to be as low latency as possible

#18     Jul 27, 2019
  9. i do not use aws server. i run from my home computer.

#19     Jul 27, 2019
  10. To be more accurate, it depends on where each instrument is traded. One gets quicker to the matching engine of the exchange with connecting via IB Europe when trading Dax futures and quicker in the US when trading futures via CME, for example. And when latency is concerned AWS does not cut it by far. Proximity hosting or collocation is asked for. Re collocation, the exact rack location does not matter anymore in the US because cable distance is nowadays normalized across racks.

#20     Jul 27, 2019